50%50
No votes
other- post your thoughts
No votes

Total votes: 0

Jayjess2013

what would be the result

Post by Jayjess2013 »

if I breed my blue cock *splits for violet cobolt* and a pastel blue hen *have no idea of her family tree*
Jay, jess and 4 mischevious Budgerigars

sheyd

Re: what would be the result

Post by sheyd »

First up- You can't have a bird split for Violet or Cobalt- these are both dominant mutations.

From your pairing (Blue x TurquoisBlue) and if the cock is not split to anything, you'll get Blues and TurquoiseBlues just like the parents.
Jayjess2013

Post by Jayjess2013 »

well the person that bred him the dad is violet cobolt and I also had tests done. Other babies from this cock that were blue had babies that were violet cobolt so...

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Jayjess2013 wrote:well the person that bred him the dad is violet cobolt and I also had tests done. Other babies from this cock that were blue had babies that were violet cobolt so...
Jay- unless the (normal)Blue is paired to a bird with the Dark Factor or Violet Factor, then it can not EVER have violets or cobalts- cobalt which btw is actually Dark factor + Blue aka Cobalt.

So, if your bird is visually a (normal)Blue then you'll have to pair it to either a Violet Blue or a Dark Blue (cobalt) or a Dark Violet Blue to get either one or both mutations in the one bird.

This maybe helpful regarding Dark, Violet and Blue
http://psittacula-world.com/EN/Mutations/P-krameri.htm
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I'm curious what tests you are talking about?

I agree with Shey...the dad can most definitely be Dark Violet Blue and still have normal blue results in the offspring. You can pair any normal blue to a violet blue and have both normal blues and violet blues. But if you were to pair your blue to another blue the most you could get is normal blue and whatever the blues may have been split to. But a dominant mutation like the dark factor (cobalt) and violet have to be present visually. I've seen this argument come up a lot on other breeding sites and it can be very confusing. There are some websites and books you can read on genetics. Maybe those could explain it better than me :)
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Jayjess2013

Post by Jayjess2013 »

I got a genetic test performed, but now I know what shey means. Its just that all the babies from this dad where normal blue, and the babies of those chicks where violet cobolt. I think I will have to revisit this breeder and see what he means, my friend also purchased a blue baby from this father and the babies that turned out were: 2 violet cobolts and a normal blue.

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Do you by any chance have a pic of your blue and the dad? I have a theory of what your breeder is talking about and want to see if I'm right.

Jayjess2013

Post by Jayjess2013 »

Skye- I am yet to come into contact with the breeder, I have sent him a text and await a reply. Jay is just your average blue, I cant see any dark factors. I will put some pics when I find the connection cord for my iphone. Then I can give you all the info you need. Did sheyd say that he might be split only if bred to a dark hen?...

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

If he looks similar in colour to the bird in my avatar
<------
then he is just a normal Blue- and you'll need to pair him with a Cobalt or Violet to get Violet, Cobalt or Dark Violet offspring. Normal Blues* can't have violet or cobalt offspring unless they are paired with a bird who is.

Will be interesting to see what your breeder says- some honestly (but ignorantly) believe that what they're saying is real- while others will deliberately mislead.

*even if they had a Dark Blue/Violet parent
Jayjess2013

Post by Jayjess2013 »

He is just a little darker- but not by much. I can put pictures tomorrow if I find the connection cord tonight. I have not yet heard back from the breeder, but I will tell you when he responds.

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

My thought shey was that maybe the breeder is mistaking cobalt for violet. Is that possible?

Jayjess2013

Post by Jayjess2013 »

Perhaps, but I searched in google violet cobolts and he looks like them all

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Skyes_crew wrote:My thought shey was that maybe the breeder is mistaking cobalt for violet. Is that possible?
It is possible- it wouldn't change anything for Jayjess though, as the breeder (and Jayjess) has said that their bird was a reg Blue.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

What if all of those "normal" blue babies weren't all normal blues but were actually sf cobalts? They can a lot if the time closely resemble a normal blue. JayJess didn't mention what the original babies were paired with so I'm lost after that. :)

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

in pics they can be misleading- I don't think you'd (if you know the difference) mistake a Cobalt for a reg Blue in real life though- but could be wrong :)