different to my first IRN

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

radar

different to my first IRN

Post by radar »

hi there new to this site its great
I purchased a blue IRN about 2 years ago and long story short
was killed by a new family member (dog ) i was gutted to say the least
he Rocky was a great pet use to watch TV with me sitting on my shoulder or leg. fine with the cat and all. anyway I brought another blue, about 6 months ago also we brought a puppy just before. Im finding it hard with the new bird Junior due to he is so different to my first one. I dont bring him out that much for the fear of the cat and dog he is very scared compared to my first bird. When i do bring him out he will step up onto my shoulder or sit on my hand but then flys away in the launge he doesnt want to be patted nor is he talking like my other. I would love for him to be more friendly but im scared of bringing him out more due to

wife scared of birds
puppy
cat
bird scatty

help there is no one who helps with this stuff over here :cry:
love the little critters
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Firstly, Hello and Welcome! I am from New Zealand too.

Every bird is Different. How old is Junior? Is he clipped?

You cannot expect him to be the same as your other bird. These babies are intellegent which also means sometimes they are unpredictable. The more time you spend with him the more confident he will be in any given situation.

Maybe you could focus on him, put the cat and the dog outside and spend some time with him. If his wings are not clipped that may be a good start (get a vet or trained proffessional to do it). The idea is to build a bond with your bird and get some trust going on.

Sometimes birds and other pets just dont mix well, but at least if he trusts you he is going to adjust better. Good Luck!
-Chamon-

birdman5000

Post by birdman5000 »

:D i agree clip the birds wings and spend some time with him i just take out my birds and set them on my shoulder or their play stand while i watch tv and give them a treat but i always throw my sisters cat outside and close the door try training the dog to stay away from the bird, the birds cage, or the entire room that the bird spends the most time in you could get a special coller that is set to not cross a perimeter and if the dog trys to it makes a dog whistle that only they can hear they make an electric shock version of this but the whistle is more humane it worked to keep my cousins rotwieler out of her office :D anyway welcome to the forum
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

As hard as it was to let go of your other bird...the new one will not and is not the same. These birds have way different personalities (if you read through our posts you'll see :wink: ) You have to love him for the bird he is and not compare him to your first one. Enjoy his company and you bith will learn alot.

Dani and Prinny