Hello!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

tazbird3

Hello!

Post by tazbird3 »

Hi there. I just wanted to introduce myself. I have a green Indian Ringneck. I've had her about eleven years, but I am her fourth owner. No one else was willing to deal with her until she came to me, and I fell in love with her. Kasper is a beautiful bird who loves to cuddle and is very intuitive. But she does have some behaviors that I just don't understand. I'm hoping for some answers/recommendations/suggestions here!

Thanks!
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi tazbird3.

I have a young green ringie that I raised last year. S/he is very mushy so unlike any of my other IRNs.

It's good to hear Kasper has finally found someone willing to put the time in adn give her a loving and stable home. Good one. :D
tazbird3

Post by tazbird3 »

Thanks, Pinkdevil. I love my girl. She's my little cuddle bug. I think she's probably about 20 years old or so. I'm not quite sure how long they can live. She has a cataract on one eye, so she can't see out of her left eye. She is high maintenance and has been for as long as I've had her. She doesn't like anyone getting attention but her. She will gladly attack my cockatiel if my cockatiel tries to get some attention. She also used to attack my parakeet -- unfortunately my parakeet always tried to fight back. My parakeet ended up with more injuries....including a fractured foot! Sadly, my parakeet just died last week -- only four years old.

How long have you had an IRN?
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I got my first Ringneck 3 years ago. A Lutino girl I handraised from around 3 weeks of age. She kick started my interest in ringies and birds in general.

I have quite a few now, just the normal colours of green, blues, lutinos, greys etc.

I read where, in good conditions, they can live up to 30 years, so your girl is going well. :)

Shame about your parakeet :(

I have a few other birds besides ringies, they include galahs, sun conures, cockatiels, eclectus, rainbow lorikeets, a green cheek conure, and a little budgie. Don't think I have left anyone out lol.
tazbird3

Post by tazbird3 »

Wow! What a flock of birds you have!! My landlady (also my Mom) has limited me to three birds...so I have my ringneck, my cockatiel, and had my parakeet (budgie). I thinking I'll get another budgie, but not for a few months -- when it's summer and I'll be home more. I'm hoping to get a hand-raised baby. The last two parakeets I had were not hand-raised, and therefore terrified of hands. It took more time to get them accustomed to me than it should have. So a hand-raised baby will be good. The breeder said that I can probably get a baby as young as four weeks old...

I don't know how my IRN will handle that. She really doesn't like anyone getting my attention but her. I call Kasper my "HRH" or my diva. But I love her all the same.

With having so many birds, are you able to bond with them -- are you considered one of their flock mates? Do any of them get possessive of you? (Possessiveness is a major issue with Kasper.)
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Alot of my birds are aviary bred but they still are quiet except for 8 of them. The rest of my birds are handraised, (mostly by me), and are in an aviary.
My first Ringneck, a lutino called Jasper, she is very bonded to me, as is my youngest, Junior 'G', that I raised last year. I have a video on youtube of Jasper being loving. It was during the breeding season last year but she is still like that towards me now. I thought it would have been a seasonal thing.
Junior 'G' gets very annoyed if other birds are out when s/he is out and flies over and "bomb" dives them. Funny to watch but I try to discourage it.
Most of the other tame birds just have "inhouse" squabbles but not over me. lol :lol:

I am lucky that my work allows me to spend quite a bit of time with all the birds and I am an animal lover so that makes things perfect anyway. :)
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

Welcome Tazbird3
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

welcome !! :D
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------