Help me please!!!

Moderator: Mods

Blondie

Help me please!!!

Post by Blondie »

I just got an irn about a month ago and ever since i brought him home he tries to bit me when i put my hand in his cage to pick him up. The first couple weeks he just ran from me but now he just lunges at me and tries to bit me. I dont know what to do, i've put toys in his cage and i give him treats all the time but it doesnt seem to help. Now within the past week he has started plucking his feathers out. He plucks about seven a day. Im not sure if he does this because when im not home he gets bored or if he does it because hes not happy in his new home. The person i bought him from says he was kept in a cage with other birds so would it help if i got a friend for him? i dont know what to do so any avice would be very helpful at this point.
~Brooke~
Bird crazy

Sorry for the trouble you're having

Post by Bird crazy »

How old is the bird?
Where is the cage located, do you have it with a side to a wall so he's not
so exposed on all sides to make him more nervous?
Are his wings clipped so that you could open the cage and let him come out on his own?
Have you identified a treat he especially loves, like sun flower seeds, and withhold them so he can only get them from you, maybe through the bars first then with your hand in the cage when he gets less frightened?
Just a few thoughts. Hope it helps.
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Ohana

Post by Ohana »

I have a recently acquired re-homed IRN who also was very scared when she came to my house.

Here is what you can do with a second hand bird:

1st if you have other birds, quarantine for at least 30 days, 60 is best.
2nd, have a vet check them over to make sure that they are healthy (quarantine is still necessary)

3rd~ while in quarantine spend time in that room with the bird, talk to it, read to it walk by the cage. If it lunges DO NOT REACT, just stay still. Once it has finished its rage then remind it that you are not going to hurt it. Don't forget that this bird is intelligent and CAN understand you. Maybe not what you are saying but your behavior and tone of voice matter most.

If you need to open the cage to change out water/food dishes do so slowly as not to alarm the bird. If that works out without to much commotion then continue to do so while talking to the bird. If the bird lunges during this time, DO NOT REACT at first, let this bird no that it can not get a reaction out of you. This is very hard because the bite WILL HURT if they get you. Once the bird has finished just calmly tell them, it is ok and you are not going to hurt them.

If you have this bird in an room with a lot of traffic and it was used to a low traffic area in the home it came from then, try moving it to a location where it will feel more secure. Covering part of the cage is helpful as well, this also helps them feel more secure.

Plucking can be a cause of many things so a vet check is important to rule out health issues. Some behavioral issues can be dealt with and behaviors can be modified with the proper program and understanding of your bird.

I think the biggest thing is understanding that your new bird is scared and disoriented, so it needs a lot of compassion, understand and above all TONS of patiences. You will have days where you feel like it is all behind you and then your progress digresses three weeks. Shrug it off and just start over.

Above all patience, second never discount how smart this little bird is.

Ask plenty of questions describe as much as you like. The more you tell us the better we can help you.
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

He is two years old and his wings are clipped. He likes sunflower seeds, mango, and french fries. His cage is against a window but i keep the blinds closed so it doesnt get to hot. Thanks for the advice, ill deffinately try and see if it helps.
~Brooke~
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Yes sounds like at first your fid was firghtened, but now has enough courage up to test you and see if he can get one over on you.

You already have been given some great advice.

Be dominant and push past the lunge to make him step up and use very clear voice commands when you do it. Voice commands let your bird know, in time, exactly what you are doing, as your hands do many different things.

Most birds (not all) will lunge especially around their cage, this is just protecting their safe haven. So try taking him away from the cage to work with him. Get him a t stand or take him to a quiet room with treats and try to interact and gain trust.

Its just a matter of time, patience and trust, never react with anger or frustration, be determined, my Kai took at least 6 months before I would say he really trusted us. It took alot of fluttering, running away, bites (one good slice out of my thumb) but You see every time you interact with him and don't hurt him will instill in him that you are a friend and part of his flock. Eventually Kai became so inquisitive he would come to us on his own.

Good Luck and keep asking questions as you need to.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless