which type of friend for an IRN?

Moderator: Mods

selma

which type of friend for an IRN?

Post by selma »

hi everyone. I need some advice from all you experts. We would like to get bibou, our female ringneck a friend but we're not sure which type of birdie to get her? She's bonded very very well with hubby and we think if we get another female she will be extremely jealous. On the other hand we dont want her mating with a male. We would like to get a birdie that's 'easy' to take care of (if there is such a thing), a friend to keep her company whenever we need to leave the house. Any ideas out there? Would really appreciate it.
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Hey Selma,
I'm by far no expert, but I have three fids and both my irns would probably have been happier if the other two didn't exist. Neither of them care for the other two. They lunge at any of the other fids if they're anywhere near them. They're just little brats. So... I know Angie in Aussie her birds get along quite well with others. I guess it just depends on your birds. But mine are brats.

Now my Milo loves everybody and everything. So I guess it just depends on the bird.

Jen
Lisa's Tiki

Post by Lisa's Tiki »

I have three birds (used to have four) and none of them like the other. The reason why I have three now instead of four, is because my two tiels H-A-T-E-D each other! They were housed in the same cage and they would fight fight fight. The younger of the two became VERY mean and would hiss and bite at me every chance he had. I gave him to a friend of mine and in 1 day the little bugger turned into the sweetest little angel in the world. So long story short, some birds are much happier being the only bird in the household, it just depends on their personalities. I currently have 1 Indian Ringneck, 1 Cockatiel and 1 Nanday Conure and with a month or two I am getting an African Grey. All my birds do not like the other, but as long as they are in seperate cages and get their own alone play time, they are perfectly happy. Of course I know that they keep each other company when we are not at home even though they are in seperate cages.
Jade

Post by Jade »

I handraised a peewee when it fell out of its nest and was rejected by its parents, and my Chook hated every second of my time spent with 'the other bird'. He would get nasty to me to show his dissatisfaction with the situation. He is very happy being the only bird and loves to strut in front of the aviaries with my other birds because he knows that they don't come out and so therefore, he is still top bird. I think it depends on your bird - like people, they can be very jealous of your affection and don't like to share. I think Chook would be a stalker if he were human.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

I dunno how Prinny is going to react having to share me but we'll see! I guess she really has no choice!

Dani and Prinny
surferdon

Post by surferdon »

I just got a second IRN, at first the new one would attack the other one, but now they shower together and sometimes the get into each others cages and sleep in the same cage!
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

yep Kai and Jordan are getting to know each other and they are both males. They eat together from a communal plate and they swap cages often. Sometimes they are snuggled up on the same stand together aswell. Then again sometimes they fight eachother, but they learn their place, jordan just keeps outa kai's way when they are in feisty moods. Our cockatiel gets beaten up so badly by the IRN's .. gotta keep her away from them. The budgies learn to stay clear.

But they are all so use to each other now that they can all be perched in the lounge on their stands happily for hours, and eat communally. Needless to say I never leave them alone that way though, just incase, you never know.

I guess its another IRN .. I'm not much help sorry :? :shock:
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

hehehe Angie...how you like the new title?

Anyway that is a stitch...poor Kiely. Two little mafia men of yours...Kia and Jordan...she ought ot learn to stand up for herself! Maybe she will one of these days.

Dani and Prinny
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

Its so up to the bird, you almost don't have a choice. Mazzie hates all other birds. She tolerates my blue and gold and doesn't try to attack him at every opening, but she hates other IRN's. She can be somewhat ok with my Alexandrine, but still not ok enough to be trusted.

Buddy however is as friendly as a bird can be, and loves all other birds. He plays with cockatiels, other IRN's, lovebirds, senegals, pretty much any bird his size or smaller... because he's very gentle with them.

Go figure.

Athena
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

:shock: when did that get there Oh my ! best go check out the newbies .. but first.. its 1.30am I gotta go sleep. Yep I am a freak for this site.. lol thats for sure
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless