Turquoise n...

Moderator: Mods

Ring0Neck

Turquoise n...

Post by Ring0Neck »

This is what i pulled out of the nest today and noticed unusual markings for a turquoiseblue
looks as if it has a saddle on its back rather clearly & a yellowish tail.
Pics of the parents & young as well as paint.net sys

male has a yellowish-pinkish neckring not quiet visible in the pic

young
http://parakeet.me/irn/m/DSC_0192.jpg

http://parakeet.me/irn/m/DSC_0192red.jpg

thoughts?

PS : male can not be 2 parblue mutations; this pair have also bred blues.
even if he was he could not pass them both to the young.
my other parblue young don't look like this
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Johan S

Re: Turquoise n...

Post by Johan S »

Ben, this youngster looks like a rather typical turquoiseblue to me, with green coming through on the wing coverts first. The parblues we have in our opaline line that produces a saddle starts with green on the back and none on the wings, pretty much the reverse of what you have in that picture. After the 3 month moult the saddle is very clear, still with blue wings, and at the 15 month moult it starts spreading. The final mature result looks like a normal turquoise type parblue, with the main difference being in the psittacin distribution and progression in young birds.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Thanks Johan,

I've bred approx 12 turquoise birds this year and they were not feathering up like this fella.
none have yellow in the tail
so it must be a diff phenotype of turquoise as opposed to what lines i have.

I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hope I'm not intruding, but since this was a discussion of saddle in parblues I had a question of my turquoise grey. Is this a saddle and will he eventually lose it it. He is 9 months old.

Last edited by Skyes_crew on Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

madas

Post by madas »

Johan S wrote:Ben, this youngster looks like a rather typical turquoiseblue to me, with green coming through on the wing coverts first.
Yeah but this youngster shows a lot of "turq" in the wings. Very unusual for a hetereozyguos parblue. Isn't it?
BTW: i had never a parblue bird which is showing yellow in the tail. Very strange. So could it be an emerald derivative??? Color of neckring could fit. And remember Willy's patched emeralds.
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Ben, I'm of the opinion that the parblue expression is extremely sensitive to the hormonal level present during that short time window while feathers are growing. I have seen different expressions of parblue in siblings of the same age (enter your dominant chick hypothesis here) with the same mutant gene inherited from a single heterozygous parent.

Melissa, yes, that type of parblue could go through as a 'saddle' type. And yes, it will start spreading out with the next moult. After the 27 month moult, it will be completely lost.

This is the type of parblue that I believe combines with harlequin to give the saddlebacks, but the fact that no non-pied saddle type parblues (i.e. like Melissa's picture) have been bred is indeed very perplexing and a tough nut to crack. But I have full confidence in Chris et al to solve this mystery soon.
Mikesringnecks

Post by Mikesringnecks »

Hi
I am a lover of turquoise and have bred quite a few over the years. I was quite amazed the first time I saw a yellow tail in the nest and it was pure. However, it only extended for a few centimeters at the end of the tail feathers. That bird is now a 1 year old and there is little evidence of the yellow now. I am hoping it might return at least a bit in the coming molt
Kind regards
Mike
madas

Post by madas »

Hi Ben,

is there any visible yellow on the under wing side?
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

I looked but no feathers popped up yet in that area, in a couple of days.
I'm an Explorer
madas

Post by madas »

Ring0Neck wrote:I looked but no feathers popped up yet in that area, in a couple of days.
Thx. Keep us informed. :)
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Mike,
How old your was your bird when it started losing the yellow?

Molossus, very interesting thoughts, thanks for sharing.
I was thinking of acquiring the father and pair him up to this girl:d
to confuse things further :lol:

I use gloves to give my hand wounds a chance to heal :lol:

I have the pics of the young from last year from this same pair (my friend bred them)
You might remember a year ago i posted a couple of the young pics....anyhow pics below:

In the nest
http://parakeet.me/irn/m/IMG_1866.JPG

after fledging
http://parakeet.me/irn/m/IMG_4414xAL.jpg

3rd sibling a totally different phenotype to this year's
http://parakeet.me/irn/m/DSC08483..jpg

unfortunately he no longer has these birds from last year

PS: I mark my pics in the name when i edit them or cut etc, "AL" i use when i apply Auto Level in paint.net (clears foggy pics and brightens the pic slightly)
----------------------------
PPS: in this thread pics of a very similar turquoiseblue except mine has a more intense blue saddle and yellow in tail probably just the tips as Mike said, based on last year's young phenotype and these pics i'd say it'll end up being very similar to the bird in this thread.
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 3&start=50
I'm an Explorer
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Peter has posted this pic in the Emerald thread.

Peter, are you sure that bird is Opaline?
is this phenotype of Opaline Turquoise? is the tail yellow because of opaline?
my bird looks very similar and it is a turquoiseblue not df , could the opaline mutation be in play?
it would make the male split opaline (i wish )

Today's pics
http://parakeet.me/irn/m/DSC_0185.jpg
http://parakeet.me/irn/m/DSC_0182.jpg
http://parakeet.me/irn/m/DSC_0202.jpg look at the amount & density of the down, unlike Irns but i hear opaline have lots of down. :|

More Pix
http://parakeet.me/irn/m/DSC_0200wAL.jpg
http://parakeet.me/irn/m/DSC_0200wALred.jpg

Last edited by Ring0Neck on Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an Explorer
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Ring0Neck wrote:Mike,

to confuse things further :lol:

I'm not up to speed on the whole mutations thing.
This morning when our 15 month old turquoise blue was preening I noticed he has had some similar yellow that fades to a greyish colour feathers under his wings.
As I've never noticed them before I was freaking out about them, thinking he has some kind of disease or something! He is most of the way through a big moult atm.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

I've only seen the yellow underwing in df turquoise not so much in turquoiseblue
some express it more then others. Going through moult could also make yellow more visible.
Bird in the pic is also moulting as you can see in the image.
I'm an Explorer
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

I'm an Explorer
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Ben, those pics are fantastic. They are zoomed in so much, you can almost see the psittacin granules already. :lol:

Speaking of, I've heard from a friend that they get rather nice photos at a microscopic level with their camera phones (was an iPhone) and a lens from a lazer pointer. Apparently there are some tutorials on the web to do it. If anybody without access to a microscope feels like looking into it, go for it.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Ring0Neck wrote:Peter has posted this pic in the Emerald thread.

Thanks Johan
But i really wanted your opinion and Peter's but no reply from him
Is Peter's bird an Opaline?

Cheers

I'm an Explorer
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Ben, yes, that a "df" turquoise opaline by my estimate. I've seen the bird in the flesh and it is showing a lot of psittacin already, more so than any turquoiseblue opaline I've seen in the past. Breeding results in future will confirm. Beautiful little thing.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

I'm an Explorer
Mikesringnecks

Post by Mikesringnecks »

Hi Ben
It is a TurquoiseBlue Violet Cleartail and I still have it to see what happens as it gets older. In the nest the first 20% of the tail was bright yellow, by the time it fledged the yellow had faded but was still faintly there on each tail feather. At 1 year old now, the yellow is still there but very faint. Also, there are yellow signs all over the belly and heavy signs of it on the back as green and on the head as yellow.
I kept a full sister from the previous season, same phenotype but she showed absolutely no sign of yellow anywhere until the juvenile molt. At 2 years old now she has quite bright yellow areas on her head and yellow spots (not round spots) all over her belly. Her back is about the same as the 1 year old cock.
I have no idea of what it means, except that turquoise produces surprisingly variable results amongst siblings. Is it he impact of minor modifying genes?
Kind regards
Mike
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Hi Mike,
Is it he impact of minor modifying genes?

I think its a mutation the male is split for.

I'm an Explorer
Mikesringnecks

Post by Mikesringnecks »

Hi Ben
The parents of the 2 birds I was talking about are a Violet Blue Cleartail hen and a TurquoiseBlue split cleartail cock from Bob Willis's origional blood line. I know turquoise is incredibly variable in its early expression but this pair do go to extremes, from nothing visible at all in the nest, or at fledging, to another chick that was absolutely covered in psittacin very early.
The parents do also produce more intermediate chicks but I kept one each from the last 2 years at either end of the spectrum just to see what happened over time. The bird with the high level early expression, and a yellow end to ts tail in the nest, does still have somewhat more psittacin than the hen that showed none in the nest but not so much now she is 2 and he is 1.
Interestingly, it is easy to see psittacin in the white underparts of the cleartails, I assume it is there in non tail birds but probably not so easy to see.
Ben, what I was speculating about was could this variability in expression of yellow pigment actually have a genetic source by way of minor modifying genes or is it just in the nature of the turquoise gene. Having said that, is it possible that indigo and sapphire and even other par blue alleles may owe their existence to collections of modifier genes, rather than to being separate mutations themselves as such?
I think i will put the 2 year old hen back to the father next year to see if that reveals anything else. If nothing else I may get a DF Turquoise Cleartail with 2 of the odd turquoise genes together. What do you think?
Kind regards
Mike
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Hi Mike,
I was speculating about was could this variability in expression of yellow pigment actually have a genetic source by way of minor modifying genes or is it just in the nature of the turquoise gene. Having said that, is it possible that indigo and sapphire and even other par blue alleles may owe their existence to collections of modifier genes, rather than to being separate mutations themselves as such?

Very interesting thoughts and i agree about MMGs and how little we know about them.
I hope we're going to discuss Parblues in detail in a new thread.
Recio started a couple of years ago and i think it should be done again.

I'm an Explorer
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Mikesringnecks wrote:Having said that, is it possible that indigo and sapphire and even other par blue alleles may owe their existence to collections of modifier genes, rather than to being separate mutations themselves as such?
Mike, in all the discussions out there about turquoise and indigo being different alleles, nobody has ever been able to convince me conclusively that the above isn't a possible explanation for the variability that we see; variability that exists even in adult birds. So yes, I think it is very possible.
mcw-indianringnecks

Post by mcw-indianringnecks »

Seen as were back on the subject of saddles , I said once my new web site was finished id tell the form, it has now been made live , sorry about the larst 18months i was trying to have it built professionly, i simply went to the wrong guy.There was a question about Opaline Harlequins raised ,theres 8 or 9 photoes of Opaline Harlequins on my New Mutations page , including Turquoise Opaline Harlequin ,which most beleive what a Saddleback is ?
All the photoes of our Saddlebacks there brothers and sisters [ normals ].
I will point out again theres no Opaline or Turquoise in our birds , Theres also no saddle on our birds when you look at the 12 month old birds , the names simply the wrong name ,Theres also as many comparision pics that i could think off + my thoughts.
Simply Google mcw-indianringnecks,, As i said earlier yous do have my permission to use any of my photoes on my web site for discussion on this site ...
Regards
Chris
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Hi Chris,

Great work in putting the website together, nice work.

https://picasaweb.google.com/MCWaviarie ... 4675002498
Your notes: Violet Green + Violet Green Harlequin (poss Saddleback) Bred from Phil Highland's original Violet Saddleback. (notice the sheen on the Violet Green)

That Violet Green has an unusual phenotype, as you mentioned. Nice looking bird.
That might be the "key" mutation to unlocking Saddlebacks genotype.
Does he still have it? Could we get an updated pic of that bird?
If he was to pair that to a harlequin, i would not be surprised if Saddlebacks will be bred from the pair and
that will surely narrow down saddlebacks genotype eliminating all the other mutations you mentioned.
Thoughts?

Ben
I'm an Explorer