My Bird Bites!

Moderator: Mods

paddyowner

My Bird Bites!

Post by paddyowner »

My Lutino rinneck, Paddy, is a lovely young bird with a cheeky, yet friendly personality. My partner and I got him, hand reared, from a relative about 4 months ago now. When we first got him, he bit us if we went near him, and wouldn't even come out of his cage. He has competely changed now, and loves spending time out of his cage. The only problem we have, is the fact that he won't get out directly on to our hands. What I mean is, he will get onto our hand if we have a cloth, or and old sock or such like on our hand, but just will not get onto our bare hands. Can anybody possibly explain why this could be?

Also, we need some tips on teaching him to talk! He is very vocal, especially when we leave the room, as he sqwarks like mad when he knows we're in the house but not paying him any attention!

Many thanks.
Misty_Anikin

Post by Misty_Anikin »

The reason Paddy probably only goes on your hand when you have a cloth or old sock is because maybe that is what you got him use to. In other words, if you have picked him up this way since you brought him home, he may be use to that routine. So when you put your “bare hand” in the cage it is not the usual for him; it most likely frightens/irritates him in some way if it triggers a biting or backing away reaction.

If you hold/pet Paddy, I’m sure there is a simple solution to picking him up with your “bare hand.” This depends on the amount of time you spend with your bird as well, I think. You see, the more interaction he has with you the more at ease he will feel. A way to overcome his fear or dislike of being picked up by your hand is to take small steps.

*For example, if you hold him and pet him, keep your hands in clear sight, use SLOW movement when going towards your bird with your “bare hand” and pet him as much as he lets you. This will help him become more comfortable with you and your movements. Or, even before you try to pick him up, pet him then maybe walk away for a few minutes so he doesn’t think you are trying to get him; go back to him & pet him some more, talk to him (talk to him so he knows you are there…no surprise on his part) and eventually try to offer him a finger with the UP command.

:arrow: This in the future will help him understand what you want him to do without any fear on his part of not knowing why you are going towards him. Playing with him is also a way to help him with the hand thing. Offering him a toy or switching them around so he can see your hands, petting him during play, and interaction with your hands will put him in a comfort zone so when you want to pick him up he is happy to go on your hand.

:!: When he is good, simply comes toward your hand without any snapping, offer him a seed or treat to let him know you accept and like this behavior. With each small progression offer a treat so he knows he is doing something good! Once he learns what you like/ want him to do he will understand what reaction is going to get him his treat. He’ll soon associate you with treats and be more than happy to go up on your hand.

:idea: As for tips on talking I would suggest simply that you should talk to your bird whenever you can! The more time you put in talking to your bird the quicker they pick it up. Use words that are simple at first and in a tone that will get your birds attention; high pitched, happy, and enthusiastic ones. Repetition and persistence is key. My bird doesn’t talk yet but is very perceptive when he hears familiar words and he imitates, chirps/squawks back to me when I tell him certain things. He is constantly rambling! Most ringnecks talk around a year old on average while some can take up to 2 years; others can even talk before a year of age. Also, try not to praise or reinforce yelling from your bird...as it can become a bad habbit quickly!

In any case, things take time…These birds are very intelligent so they learn and pick up things quickly. I’m sure you’ll see a change in a couple weeks or so if any. Just remember every bird is different and reacts according to their own time table, personality, and environment. :wink: I’m sure someone else can offer some other solutions or advice on your question. Good luck! :) Hope this helps some.
-Misty