how bad are they really?

Moderator: Mods

Ian.g

how bad are they really?

Post by Ian.g »

well...i shared my news about my IRN and i have had nothing but negative responses so far :( i am being told that they are extremely bitey and VERY noisey and extremely high maintenance parrots? i know they go through the bluffing stage etc...but from what i read if you deal with this stage well, they emerge from it very steady and loving birds...i really am wondering if i have made a mistake now!...maybe i should have looked into another species? i am really pretty worried now...i just want a parrot to join our family that will enjoy being a part of our family, and we can enjoy it being a part of ours....but everything is seeming so negative right now :(
1 cockatiel Casper
1 IRN Yoshi
2 dogs (Storm & Maverick)
lots of snakes!
a couple of tortoises
and a bearded dragon
groovey_jem

Post by groovey_jem »

hi ian .... we too joined other parrot forums hoping for more information and got negative come backs saying we shouldnt have bluey s/he will never make a tame loving bird and bluey should be in an aviary ect and this too made me feel so upset cos we love bluey so much and dont just want to give him up ... but people on here have helped so much ... i think quite a few people on here are from places where there is a time difference and people may also have other commitments so response are not as quick as on other forums (in no way do i mean that in a funny way please dont take it the wrong way) but these people defently know there stuff and as ive found on the other forums most of the people that are giving negative feed back dont even own a ringneck ... where as on here we know the people do know the birds

we have only had bluey for about 5/6 months so are still new to keeping ringnecks so carnt offer much advise sorry but i just wanted to say please dont give up and let people get to you ... i know easier said than do ... please read some of the topics we have put about bluey and the things weve been told ... either myself or my partner ..dannywoods1 ... has wrote the threads

good luck and hope things work out
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Hi Jem....i haven`t actually got mine yet, but have reserved a beautiful H/R baby...we fell in love with him at first sight!...we had ben reading up on them and everything seemed positive, we were armed with the warning about the bluffing stage that happens, and thought it would be worth getting through this stage to emerge from it with a great bird for us all to enjoy, but on sharing the news on other forums i have heard nothing but bad things about them!...they put me off so much that i actually phoned the place and un-reserved our baby! :( now i am wondering if i have done the right thing or not!...how is your little one so far? is it as noisy and as much of a nightmare as i am being told they grow to be?...this little one i reserved was the sweetest most gentle bird i have ever met!...it even put our tiels to shame to be hoinest...and they are super friendly...maybe i made a big mistake un-reserving him/her :(
1 cockatiel Casper
1 IRN Yoshi
lots of snakes!
a couple of tortoises
and a bearded dragon
groovey_jem

Post by groovey_jem »

well we was the same and did all the research you can on them and watched them on you tube to see what kind of noises they make .... so not sure if youve already done this or not

we went looking for ringnecks as wanted a young one ... and when we got bluey we was told that it was a he and only 10 months old ... but on other forums they are saying bluey is a fully mature female ...so we will just wait and see ... but if bluey is fully mature then s/he is picking things up really quickly like talking and learning step up .... we are having to us a perch at the moment for step up as s/he seem to get a little frightened when we try to give our arm ... but with using the perch we are slowing able to move bluey closer to us and each day s/he seems happy to come closer and allow us to move s/her further on the stick

we was told the bluey was hand raised and then when the guy got bluey he was moved into an aviary before we bought him

we took bluey to have wings clipped at our vet but they must not have clipped them right as bluey can still fly ... we only wanted them clipping the once to be able to gain blueys trust and make it easier with training ... so we are considering finding somewhere else to get blueys wings clipped .... so i would say if you have found a hand reared baby you are so lucky ... because if you think bluey was in a aviary with all the other ringnecks and look how s/he has come on with us ... bluey only once went to bite blue when we first got him but as advise given danny didnt make a fuss and just ignored it and bluey hasnt tried again

i hope this helps and any questions please ask away
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Thanks Jem...sounds like your doing a great job with bluey! i think i will ring the place on tuesday (not open tmrw) and un-reserve him/her....at the end of the day, we will always regret it if we don`t!...and IF it didn`t work out then so be it...i know plenty of people with avieries etc who i could let him/her go to, but if we put enough work in that shouldn`t happen :)
1 cockatiel Casper
1 IRN Yoshi
lots of snakes!
a couple of tortoises
and a bearded dragon
groovey_jem

Post by groovey_jem »

oh brilliant ... you really do sound committed and iam sure with all the effort that will be put in your baby will be great ... and i truely wish we could have found a place with h/r babies but wouldnt swap bluey for the world .... and this is why iam not convinced bluey is mature as bluey seems to be so good with all the training

bluey seemed like he had never had a shower before ... we noticed bluey wasnt really cleaning himself so we gave him a shower with a water spray ...the type you use to spray flowers .... and now he cleans and sorts his feathers out every day ... it little things like this that makes you think yea blueys coming on nicely .. so just imagine what you can do with a little baby

have you seen the baby lready ??? did s/he come to you ??
groovey_jem

Post by groovey_jem »

i was looking on you tube and you mentioned youve got 2 cockatiels and i thought this was sooooo sweet i had to share :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_Oslhu9UWg
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

thanks....and yeah he/she was more than happy being handled and stroked etc by us....he/she is silly tame at the moment....i must go to bed now, i will never be up for work otherwise lol...but was nice talking to someone who is positive about them! Night.
1 cockatiel Casper
1 IRN Yoshi
lots of snakes!
a couple of tortoises
and a bearded dragon
groovey_jem

Post by groovey_jem »

hope to hear from you soon and everything works out night :)
freaky

Post by freaky »

i had heard all the same stories about irn's but decided sod it and get one any way.
400mile round trip 18 months ago.

when we got him he would scream, and yes it is loud. he did bite, and wouldnt come near me.

the previous owners couldnt cope with him and dumped him in a small cage and left him there.

only took a few weeks for the screaming to stop, i cant rember when he last bit me, normally he pushes me away with his beak. and he loves having his head scratched while he falls asleep on me.

he was 18 months old when we got him and pet shops told us he wasnt worth it.

like any animal, it depends how you look after them. treat them right, spend time with them and you get a friendly little bird. mistreat them and you will regret it.

got broken in to a xmas and they tried to kill Sky. coppers comment when they turned up and he screamed at him was he is louder then most house alarms. :twisted:

go for it, i would.
groovey_jem

Post by groovey_jem »

oh gosh carnt believe they tired to kill sky :(

and carnt believe the pet shops saying he wasnt worth it ... bluey is just getting his character about him/her and its so cheeky :lol: ... loving every min of it
freaky

Post by freaky »

forgot to add they are not high maintenance etc.

my eldest decided to play chicken 2 months ago, spent 3 weeks in hospital, all i had time to do was change his food and water daily, and say hello in the mourning. he coped fine, came to me the moment i had a chance and didnt seem bothered at all by lack of contact.

also got a 17year old tiel. now he is a little b******, sings talks etc go near his cage and he will attack. cant do a thing with him.
bec

Post by bec »

freaky wrote:

got broken in to a xmas and they tried to kill Sky. coppers comment when they turned up and he screamed at him was he is louder then most house alarms. :twisted:

go for it, i would.
omg!!!!!
how horrible!!!!!
id believe what the police said though my kieron not only lets me know when we have visitors but if we know them too
we live oppisite a petrol station and he learnt his "warning calls" by immitating his two favourite car alarms :roll: only he did them much louder!
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Not all Ring necks go through that stage.
Don't worry about it...

I own one and it is just fine.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

yeah we deffinately aren`t going to be deterred....they are amazing parrots and we love them! so can`t see teh point in getting something that is just a "second choice" as this is always a mistake in my eyes...as you will always wonder "what if" and "maybe" etc....and that wouldn`t be fair on another bird as it would mean it may lack our full attention etc...we may even be able to bring the little guy/girl home tomorrow! if so i will get some pics :D
1 cockatiel Casper
1 IRN Yoshi
lots of snakes!
a couple of tortoises
and a bearded dragon
groovey_jem

Post by groovey_jem »

fantastic really happy you have decided to defently go for it :D ... carnt wait to see piccies :D
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Ian.g wrote:yeah we deffinately aren`t going to be deterred....they are amazing parrots and we love them! so can`t see teh point in getting something that is just a "second choice" as this is always a mistake in my eyes...as you will always wonder "what if" and "maybe" etc....and that wouldn`t be fair on another bird as it would mean it may lack our full attention etc...we may even be able to bring the little guy/girl home tomorrow! if so i will get some pics :D
As long as you get the bird tame wen it is young all should be fine. Yet even some hand fed babies turned hideouse even one other then a Indian Ring neck.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

thanks all, i feel a LOT more positive about our decision now! :)...we get to pick him/her up next tuesday! so excited! :D .....will get pics up as soon as he/she is home.....
1 cockatiel Casper
1 IRN Yoshi
lots of snakes!
a couple of tortoises
and a bearded dragon
groovey_jem

Post by groovey_jem »

awww i remember bringing bluey home ... it was in one of them little bird cardboard box things .... and s/her was peeping thro the little breathing holes ... oh gosh it was sooo cute only 7 more sleeps woohoo :lol: :lol: :lol: and olny about 7 more sleeps before our baby even hatches :mrgreen: lol
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

It makes me :evil: :evil: :evil: when people tell others that certain breeds of birds are not worth the trouble!
I believe you get what you put in. If you show love and time to ANY animal, I believe that they will show that in return.
Sure ringies can be noisy, sure ringies can go through a bluffing stage and bite, but what bird isn't and doesn't try to test you???
Just from my experience, I have found IRNs to be just as "normal" as my other breed of birds from Conures, Lorikeets, to Galahs. They have all bitten and are noisy at some stage. They are birds, that is what they do.
I personally like their chatter. It's their way of communication. I like to think they are happy when they do this. :)

Good on you Ian.g for deciding to add a ringneck to your family. It seems you have done quite a bit of research and have a good idea on what you will be in for.

:)
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

pinkdevil wrote:It makes me :evil: :evil: :evil: when people tell others that certain breeds of birds are not worth the trouble!
I believe you get what you put in. If you show love and time to ANY animal, I believe that they will show that in return.
Sure ringies can be noisy, sure ringies can go through a bluffing stage and bite, but what bird isn't and doesn't try to test you???
Just from my experience, I have found IRNs to be just as "normal" as my other breed of birds from Conures, Lorikeets, to Galahs. They have all bitten and are noisy at some stage. They are birds, that is what they do.
I personally like their chatter. It's their way of communication. I like to think they are happy when they do this. :)

Good on you Ian.g for deciding to add a ringneck to your family. It seems you have done quite a bit of research and have a good idea on what you will be in for.

:)
Do you want to know why If you show love
and time to ANY animal, that they will show
that in return. Is because love is a consistent
cycle which makes the world go round. :wink: