Keeping him amused?

Moderator: Mods

RubyTuesday

Keeping him amused?

Post by RubyTuesday »

So far Ruby's doing really well, adjusting to his new home... but he's still affraid of the new toys I bought him. I'm introducing them gradually, but in the meantime, I think he's starting to feather pick out of boredom.

I keep the TV on all the time for him, play music, talk and keep him on my shoulder when he wants... but when he'd rather sit on his own, he practices his talking, and starts to pluck, and i start to see all these tiny white feathers floating around. I don't want to keep giving him treats... I tried giving him straws and q-tips to chew, but he's only amused for about a minute with them.

What can I give him to do to keep him more amused? Any suggestions? thanks :-)
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Stay away from toys with red in them. I cant go near my babies with a red shirt on. No idea why.

Both of my birds FAVORITE toys are a mirror made of aluminum with a bell hanging from it. They beat it up and show it whose boss! And also, the plastic rings that are connected together with a bell at the bottom. Sort of like the key rings for human babies.

ALWAYS CHECK THAT THE BELLS ARE AFFIXED PROPERLY AS YOUR BIRD CAN GET CHOKED VERY EASILY.

Too many toys are a bad thing and can even be a scary thing. It is best to have many toys and only put in 2 and change them out often as to prevent boredom.

The rope toys with the wooden blocks are cute but my birds pay them lil, if any attention. I use those mainly to attach to the bottom of the cage so they can climb up them and "go home" when they want to. My birds have done this for themselves often enough that I started saying 'good girl, go home' so now I can say 'go home' and Baby will always. Peek-a-Boo does what she wants when she wants consisting to being attached to me like a leach! However, she will sometimes 'go home' on command if she is tired.
ScarletKnight

mirrors

Post by ScarletKnight »

irn love mirrors, proven fact, ask any owner. if it is tame put a mirror in there and try having fun with treats i put grapes in a loops jsut alittle out of reach of my kairi and he has fun he trys to get at them and so far no matter what i have tried i always find eaten graped( seedless) ofcourse. other they love to chew wood so that is good. <-- not recomended for young irn.
scarelet

ops no toy is worth more then your affection and time with them enjoy your irn
Melika

Post by Melika »

Mikaela wrote:Stay away from toys with red in them. I cant go near my babies with a red shirt on. No idea why.

Same here, something about red scares both Hane and Tsume.

Hane and Tsume both have huge wooden block and rope toys that they love. Sometimes hane just wants to nibble the rope, other times he's knawing at the wood. They have a variety, cotton and sisal rope used with metal and wood. Some of the wood had bark on it, which they LOVE to remove, lol. And Hane loves this little toy with rubber swirly things. He loves the way it's springy in his beak.

Tsume goes through wood faster than Hane and hane doesn't like swings. hane loves to chew rolled up newspaper.

Oh, and there's a bell where they can't get to the inside. Hane loves attacking his. :)

You'll have to find out what Ruby prefers. ^_^
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

Ruby doesn't seem to mind red... though maybe pink. I'm not sure on this one yet. hehe
ADDICTED to the mirror though. I sometimes have to take it out of his cage sometimes because he doesn't budge from the same spot.

His favorite spot now is on top of my lamp, though because it bounces and spins around. I put a towel ontop of it (while the lamp is off of course! :o ) so he doesn't risk falling through the center or chewing the shade up. :P
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

They fall in love with themselves and become content staring at just how pretty they are.
~ Mikaela Sky

indian ringneck

Post by indian ringneck »

You can try to teach him tricks. They're a great way to keep him busy. If you don't know how, go here.
http://members.dodo.com.au/~johanp/Articles.HTML
indian ringneck

Post by indian ringneck »

Oh, sorry, the adress of the post above is wrong.
http://members.dodo.com.au/~johanp/Kiki ... icles.HTML