Shoulder time...

Moderator: Mods

Mikaela

Shoulder time...

Post by Mikaela »

What is the healthiest, most effective technique to preventing your baby from going to your shoulder when she hasn't been invited there?

Peek-a-Boo is addicted to shoulder time, as I wear a hat over me ears but she climbs there immediately. I of course, dont always want her there. This is going to be my decision as to when it is shoulder time.

Any advice and comments are welcome!
fred.e

Post by fred.e »

I've taught Austin not to go to the shoulder unless I move my arm towards the shoulder and allow him.

The way I did it was over a period of time (like everything), each time he went to my shoulder, I put my finger infront of him and said "UP" (as this command was already taught). He would then come up and as he would then return to my I would take him off, sometimes with a little encouragement - I would actually walk towards a mirror as he would hide behind my neck and make it difficult - so with the mirror I could see exactly where he was.. Over time he knew that he could only go up and stay when I put him on my shoulder and now he comes off my shoulder every time.

When it was difficult was if I was on the lounge and he was playing on my belly - he used to literally run to my shoulder - again I would take him off, sometimes having to use the mirror as he now knew when I went to the mirror I was looking for him and was taking him off.. But what I did, again over time - was everytime he went for the runner to my shoulder, I would block him with my hand and say "No" firmly.. this was more repetative than any other thing I've taught him (apart from teaching to talk).

That probably sums it up... Kept taking him off, blocking him, and only allowing him up when I put him up - after time Austin understood - now he just hangs around on my belly happily and also naps (which now I know he's comfy).
fred.e

Post by fred.e »

here is the post on this site from when I asked about the same problem.

hope it helps..

http://www.indianringneck.com/board/vie ... light=#600
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Awesome. Thanks.