Nik-Lutino Indian Ring Neck

Moderator: Mods

DevinTyler

Nik-Lutino Indian Ring Neck

Post by DevinTyler »

Hello!!!! I have had my IRN for about 3 years now. We have never bonded. He seems to want to play w/my cats and dog. He screams a lot in the morning when the family is trying to get some sleep. He turns his head really cute when I come to his cage. He makes a sweet little noise. But when I go to accept this and pet him he snaps at me. He does take food from my hand----- but always tries to bite me. I think he wants to love me but doesn't know how too. I have at times wanted to get rid of him. I have posted ads in the paper several times but I could not bring myself to sell him.

Can you help me?
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hello

Welcome to this board!

Yep I think he wants to spend more time with you too. Ringnecks are very social creatures and if you tame him, it’s a bonus to his mental health.

I would begin clicker training with him. Clicker training is a great method based on positive reinforcement. I stumbled upon this method and love it! It has given me phenomenal results. I got my IRN doing all kinds of things.

This method has been used to train wild parrot with great results. I’ll explain it a bit here.

First you’ll need a clicker. A clicker is a small little box that clicks every time you put pressure on this metal button. You’ll also need a treat that you’re IRN really enjoys.

Clicker training is a way to communicate to the IRN through positive reinforcement. An example of this method would be teaching the step up command. Suppose you want your bird to step up onto your finger. Here is how you start to shape the behavior. Get the bird to step up, click the clicker as he steps up, and then reward him with a treat.

I know this is a pretty vague explanation. To really learn about this method, go to the URL provided. They have a great site and a group for this. I am a member and have learned lots through it. Here is the site: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/9154/

Start your research there.

Along with clicker training, start to talk more to the IRN. Offer him more treats with a spoon to avoid any bites and work your way up till he does not bite your fingers. Just don’t force him to do anything he does not want to. Training takes time but with patience and effort it can be done.

Hope this helps :wink:

Best wishes,

Imran Chaudhry
Devin Tyler

Getting another IRN in the same cage?

Post by Devin Tyler »

OK-- Thanks for your reply! I will try the "click training" this week.
What about getting another IRN to put in the cage w/Nik? The cage is huge and has plenty of room. Would this be a problem?

Thank you for your assistance!

Lori WAtt
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Yes, for two reasons.

Reason number one

Housing tow Ringnecks together can be very dangerous. Often to much, I’ll hear or see an injured Ringneck due to the Ringnecks being caged together. So I would stay clear of that.

Reason number two

If you introduce another Ringneck to the cage, then when you start to train the Ringnecks, they’ll ignore you.

Hope this helps & Best Wishes :wink:

I.C.