IRN and senegals in same cage

Moderator: Mods

IRN and senegals in same cage

Post by Guest »

I have a pair of irn and just got a pair of senegal, can i keep them together in one averie.Will they fight? Please help
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Not a good idea! I don’t know much about Senegal parrots; however, they might be very territorial as Ringnecks. As a matter of fact, most breeders cannot be housed with other parrots. This is an accident waiting to happen.

So, keep them in separate cages.

Hope this helps! :)

Best Wishes,

I.C.
Just Watt-ing

Getting another IRN

Post by Just Watt-ing »

Is it OK if I want to add an addition to my existing IRN? I saw a beautiful blue one last night at the pet store..................... I have a huge cage w/lots of room and only one IRN in there right now. Would this be OK?
Can I get an answer?

2 IRN's in one cage............

Post by Can I get an answer? »

Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:02 pm Post subject: Getting another IRN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it OK if I want to add an addition to my existing IRN? I saw a beautiful blue one last night at the pet store..................... I have a huge cage w/lots of room and only one IRN in there right now. Would this be OK?
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Howdy!

Sorry, been so busy! :D

As fantastic as it may sound, or as logical it may seem to house two Ringnecks together, you shouldn’t. This can lead to hash consequences. Suppose you have an over aggressive hen, or two territorial males? Surely something horrible might happen; they might kill each other.

The goal here is to see how the Ringnecks interact. If you just stick the new parrot into the cage with your older more established Ringneck, it will most likely fight with the new “intruder.” The bird does not know it’s a new addition.

If you must keep them together there are a few steps that should be done, which takes time. I would start by keeping a smaller cage, with the new Ringneck, next to the larger cage. This gives the birds an opportunity to meet without any physical contact. The birds might try to touch each other, but do not let them. Do this for about two weeks.

Once the two-week window has passed, go ahead and introduce them together. I would supervise this. Let them play together on a stand, or let them interact upon the large cage. Whatever you do—just be there. If there is any fighting, then return both IRN’s to their cages and wait a few hours and try again.

Once a pure harmonious interaction is surly inevitable, then and only then, is it safe to house them together permanently.

Hope this helps and sorry for the delay, been so busy. Take care and welcome to this board! :wink:

Best Wishes,

I.C.