IRN for the First Time!! Total Novice (KIWI)

Moderator: Mods

kiwi

IRN for the First Time!! Total Novice (KIWI)

Post by kiwi »

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I have just got a IRN he is gorgeous. He is 3 months old, he loves to sit on the shoulder and back. Will come out of the cage without problems. He eats from our hands and from inside our mouths.
He does not like to be be held or come of the shoulder.

When he is on the ground or cage / table he will run away when he see the hands coming towards him but run towards us if he sees the forearm or anything apart from the hand he will run towards it.

I have never had a bird before and am not sure how to start training or build a stronger relationship. I am use to dogs
Can somebody suggest a place on the net where |I can get some information on how to train Captain (as in Hook).

He does occasionally take snaps at the hand but like to be scratched at other times. What I want to do his make/ help him feel more comfortable in our hands. Can anybody help with this?

If any body can suggest a suitable place to get info. or have any tips on what I can try wit hcaptain to make him more comfortable in our hands I would be very grateful. Does anybody have any tips on what I can do with Captain to keep him entertained. He likes car rides and indiscriminate tasting and chewing!
Thank you all, I would really appreciate any help.

ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hello Kiwi,

Welcome to this board! My apologies for replying so late! Been so busy!

Congratulations on your new Indian Ringneck! They make great pets and with a little work, they can make phenomenal parrots.

Training your Indian Ringneck to appreciate the hand will take time, but with patience it can be done. Your first task is to show him your hand is friendly, rather then a five finger monster out to get him.

Offer fresh cut fruits or almonds. Just give your bird his space and don’t force him to do anything he does not want to do. I must also recommend clicker training. I have subscribed to this group and have leaned so much with positive reinforcement. My Indian Ringneck can do many tricks, all which have been accomplished through positive reinforcement.

Go to this link and join: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/9154/

Also, about letting your bird eat from your mouth it’s not a good idea. I’ll explain why. The saliva of humans contains harmful bacteria that will kill the bird. It’s especially important to keep the bird clear of dog and cat saliva. Saliva from those common household pets can be very toxic to the birds. Not only is saliva harmful to parrots, but facial bites really hurt. A pierced lip will not look nice to the public. :wink: LoL!!! :D

Hope this helps and Best Wishes

I.C.
kiwi

Taming

Post by kiwi »

Hi Ringneck,
Thanks for your reply. It was very informative. We have a problem with our ringneck biting now. We live in a one bedroom studio apartement. We spend a lot of time with him. This problem started to occur about 3 days after we got him. He bites when we go to get him out of the cage. He bites when he is on top of the cage. The cage is slightly below eye level. He will eat from the hand than bite the hand. He bites HARD. He will sit on your shoulder and bite your hand if it is near him. His pupils shrink, he makes threatening noises, he puffs his head than he snaps.

I have no idea what is causing this behaviour and how to stop it. Can you please give us some advise on what to do?

Regards Kiwi, Kelvin

ps He likes drinking tea and eating salty chips, is this ok??
ringneck
Site Admin

Biting

Post by ringneck »

Kelvin

Yes, I agree. Biting is a major dilemma and should be stopped before it becomes a major problem. As I remember correctly, your Ringneck is only 3 months old. Young Ringnecks go though a stage that is more aggressive than most parrots. I like to call this period, “the testing stage.” This stage is relatively common in most juvenile Ringnecks. During this time period, the Ringnecks becomes aggressive, nippy, vocal, and territorial. This stage could last a week or months. Just get through these rough times and try to minimize biting as much as possible.

Let the Ringneck know you are not afraid of him. When the Ringneck tries to test the hierarchy of the flock, which is your family, he’ll often bluff, pin his eyes, and make noises when you try to pick him up. He just has to learn his place. Under no circumstances are you to back down, walk away, yell at him, or hit him. Not that you would;) Simply wait a few seconds and offer your finger to him. Once he has stepped up without biting, praise him and offer him a treat. If he bites you, as hard as it may be, try to move that finger to his feet till he steps on you. Once he does it, take him and praise him and offer a treat. Continue to repeat this. We are trying to use positive reinforcement. The key here as I always say is persistence and most of all patience.

Repeat this process for inside the cage as well. If not dealt with, some Ringnecks will make it very difficult to do daily chore such as food, water, etc… Let your Ringneck know that your hand is allowed inside his cage. Offer him some grapes or sun flower seeds with your hand inside the cage. Try petting him and just interacting with him inside his cage. This early practice will save you lots of time and frustration later on.

Also about the tea. I would imagine it’s alright. Just make sure there is no caffeine and everything is natural and organic. Salty chips are alright in moderation. Believe it or not, but some parrots can get addicted to junk food. Because Ringnecks are not designed to eat processed foods, if given too much, they can develop fatty liver disease. So, yes it’s ok, just make sure its in small amounts and only on very special occasions.

Hope this helps & Best Wishes, :D

I.C.