Teaching speech

Moderator: Mods

daisy chain

Teaching speech

Post by daisy chain »

I just wanted to share my experience of teaching my IRN to talk. Her cage is in my office where I am at all day. I work from home. Anyway, when she was very young I started with the typical "hello", over and over again. I got kind of tired of doing it so I got a small tape recoreder and taped myself saying hello over and over. It was like a 10 minute tape of my own voice. I would play it several times a day while I was working. I did this for a few days. Then I was out for the evening and my son called me on my phone and told me that she was in her cage saying hello repeatedly. After that she started picking up words on her own. Her vocabulary is limited but very, very clear.

her words:
Hello
Hello Daisy girl
Hello Lukie (the dogs name) when he walks in the room she says this
pretty bird
look out
go home
also does a really nice wolf whistle on command

Don't give up if your bird is not talking just keep at it, it will happen when they are ready.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Thank you for sharing that! I know how exciting it can be when your IRN speaks their first word! How old is your hen? About what age did she start to talk?

I would walk around the house like a broken record, but it worked and now my little guy is a chatterbox!

LoL!! :lol:

In a matter of weeks he started to say

Good parrot
Hello
I’m coming
Come Here, Come Here,
Okay
Good Boy
Gooooood Bird

I.C.
daisy chain

talking

Post by daisy chain »

My girl was about 8 months when she started talking.

She just learned a new one last night.

"step up"

She is really bad at stepping up as she will take your finger off with a good nip so we are always saying it to her.
indian ringneck

Post by indian ringneck »

Hello, i'm new here. Kiki says 'hello'. Indian Ringnecks talk so nicely.
maxiandjoey

talking

Post by maxiandjoey »

hi Daisy,
How old is your IRN when you start training him/her?

Thanks,
daisy chain

Post by daisy chain »

My IRN was about 6 months old when she started to talk.
tzigane

No luck with new speech!

Post by tzigane »

When my IRN, ChaCha, still lived with my husband and I, I couldn't teach him a new word at all! Not through the 5 or so years he lived with us. He now lives happily with a friend of ours who wants to teach him some new words but also is having no luck. Currently he says:
Hello
What are you doing?
Come here
Good night (only heard him say it once but it was clear as a bell!)

I tried being repetitive for certain events: like when I covered him at night I'd say "good night, ChaCha" but he would never say good night back. I also tried a CD to teach him "Hello Baby" but after a couple of months of playing in for him about 30 mins a day I gave up. I tried to teach him "You don't say" when he would chirp and whistle to me to which he would dance and posture but he never learned to say that either! Any advice I can pass on to my friend to try to teach ChaCha something new?! He seems to be very stubborn about wanting to learn anything but what he already knows. Couldn't even teach him a new whistle!
Have a great day!
tzigane