new untamed irn

Moderator: Mods

april

new untamed irn

Post by april »

hello,
we have just brought home our new irn. he is a one year old male. he is not tame at all or used to people being around. does anyone have any tips for starting out with our new friend. any info will help.
Jodie

question

Post by Jodie »

Hi,
Well, I would would make sure its wings are clipped. I would go find some nice thick welder type gloves and take it forcefully, I am sure, out of his cage. With a towel firmly hold it and clip its secondary wings. While you have it out, it is not a bad idea to clip the nails and beak if you know how. There is a website you can check out for more information http://www.cockatiels.org/articles/care/wing.html If you have never clipped before read up on it. The reason I suggest you clip its wings, is so you can keep the cage open. This way, it will come out of its cage on its own. To start taming it, talk to it each day and offer treats. If it does not take the treat leave it for it. Start with peanuts or fresh fruit, but only give the treat when you talk to it. Check out http://www.mresource.com/Birds/PERPET.HTM for some other tips. After about a week of talking and offering treats try to have it step up on that nice thick glove. Say step up. Oh, try to repeat the same phases and such to try to start training him. Hope this helps!
april

Post by april »

thanks for the info!!
endo is starting to come around but he is not very interested in us holding him.he likes to play on top of his cage and that is where he eats his treats but he will not take them out of our hand.only when he flies off of his cage can we get him to go on our hand or arm for a short ride back to his cage.hopefully after a while he will begin to like us.do you have any more tips??also he only makes noises when he thinks we are not home in the morning.when he sees us he stops talking.
Jodie

oops

Post by Jodie »

Hi,
I was reading my response from up above and noticed I suggested clipping its secondary wings! OOPS! When you clip wings, it is the primary feathers NOT the secondary!
Other advice would be to try to remain consistant with your bird (wakeup time, when you sped time with it etc). Spend as much time as you can with it. Talk clearly and try to say the same phases. Whistle little tunes to it. You never know what they will repeat first! It does sound alittle tame if it steps up from the floor. I think it is still young enough to be a great bird. I would try to have it step up from its' cage. Try to handle it. Even if it flys away or nips at you, keep trying. Best of luck..........