my IRN baby death

Moderator: Mods

iwe

my IRN baby death

Post by iwe »

hi,

thanks alot for your Tips, and i'll do it as i like to have a taming IRN bird.
but this morning i just found one of the chick dead, i dont know what happen and i dont know what i must do in this situation. the parent still feeding them as i know that the parent still inside the nestbox during the day.

im really sad about it and afraid that i will lose the other chick also.
can anyone give me the advise what i can do for this situation?
is it possible that i change the material inside the nestbox? 'cause it abit dirty/mess from the chick.

thanks for your help guys.
Jodie

babies

Post by Jodie »

Hi,
I have been told not to clean the cage while they are nesting but I think you are safe to clean out the cage/nestbox after the eggs have hatched.
Just because the parent is in the nestbox does not necessarily mean they are feeding the babies or feeding them properly. Your best bet is to take the babies out and feel their crop. The crop is on left portion under the beak. If it is flat then they are inbetween feedings or not being fed. It might feel alittle bumpy from regurgitated seed/pellet from the parents which is a good sign. There is a few websites that offer advice on hand feeding one is www.angelfire.com/biz/puds1/handfeeding.html If your babies are over 15 days old, I would pull them. If they are 25 days old, they wean very quickly. Think about it, starvation is a terrible way to die! Handfeeding is not at all as difficult as you would think! If you are not able to pull the babies, I would take the babies out of the nestbox to feed them then replace them back in the nestbox.
I also wanted to comment on how to have a tame bird without handfeeding them. I would suggest you handle them daily. I would take a towel and heat it in the microwave just for a few second to warm it then place the babies in it. I would talk to them individually and position them on my finger (when they are 15-25 days you have to help balance their rear-end because it is heavier with your other fingers on the hand the baby is on). When they are alittle older introduce them to the perch, but help them balance. Handle them, pet them and give them kisses will help make them tame. Most importantly have a member of the opposite sex handle and talk with them also.
I am sorry for your loss, I know how you feel. I lost a baby, it flew into the window at around 50 days old.
Hope this helps!