Please Help!!

Moderator: Mods

michelle999

Please Help!!

Post by michelle999 »

We have now had Ringo clipped, he cannot fly away any more, vet advised us that when we let him out, make sure his cage is on the floor until he realises that he cannot fly. I have to take the whole cage into my lounge, open the door and wait and wait. He won't come out so i can try to teach him to step up. I cannot put my hand in and catch him to bring him out as he stresses too much and he hates my husband now as he is usually the one that has to catch him if needed. When his cage is on his stand he does not hesitate to come out and climb around.....but now he has to be low for a while...
Could it be that he is not used to the other room??? do you think he just needs time?? Please help....I feel very frustrated with myself and feel like he does not like me... :cry:
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

You are doing GREAT.

Just sit near the cage with the door open and something called 'spray millet' from a pet store. They LOVE it. He will come to get it, eventually.

While talking softly to him, with the door open DO NOT MAKE DIRECT EYE CONTACT for more than a second or so. It scares them badly. I use to look at my babies chest and glance to her eyes.

Use high and low tones, exactly as if you were talking to an infant.

Move slowly and even explain what your doing. Might as well start talking to yourself now, you'll be doing it for 30 more years hehe.

Good Job!
~ Mikaela Sky

darkcloudchild

Post by darkcloudchild »

Did you leave the cage in the room that it's usually in? If you changed rooms on him, you probably freaked him out some from that, on top of the wing clip. Your doing something that is abnormal to him, and he doesn't understand why. His cage is his only known sanctuary, he feels safe there.

I would leave the cage in the same room that it's usually in, then let him out. Sit there on the floor, or in a chair close to the cage, talk to him, ect. If he's in a known environment it should be easier to get him out.

He's going through a tough time and you have to be patient with him. Talk to him like you normally would and let him know he'll be alright.

*hugs*
Rena
michelle999

Post by michelle999 »

He is normaly kept in the dining room, i came home and put the cage on the floor in the dining room and opened door, he came out but only because i put the cockatiel on the floor aswell.... i just have to get him to come near my hand now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for advice