What does it mean when my IRN's pupils go small then large?

Moderator: Mods

Danny

What does it mean when my IRN's pupils go small then large?

Post by Danny »

I've had my IRN Indie for 3 weeks now (he is 12 weeks old now), at first he was so gentle, but now he lunges at me and carries on like a Porkchop, also when I look at him, whether he is on my hand on my shoulder or on his perch his pupils go from really big to really small, does this mean that he is pissed at me and wants me to leave him alone?? In one other instance he was on my shoulder and wistling when I looked over at him he lunged for my eyes, I can tell you I was very upset and I handed him over to my boyfriend...please help, I really want Indie to like me.

thanks in advance

Sarah. :(
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Hi there! What your bird is doing is Pinning his eyes. They pin their eyes when upset...angry...happy...um, just about every other emotion. Don't worry it's normal. It is the other behaviours your looking for. The lunging means upset... :wink: It also sounds like you may have a bluffing beginning. Bluffing is the stage that all IRNs go through when they test their boundaries. Don't let him get away with anything right now, he is testing you.

Dani and Prinny
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Hey Sarah,
Hang in there! You can't back down from these guys. I've got two and one is a holy terror who I got as an older ringneck. I was totally and completely lied to by the breeders and I bought it hook, line, and sinker. And Byndi is not a friendly bird at all. GORGEOUS to look at, but not much interaction at all. And I'm pretty sure there could be if I wouldn't have backed off from him. But he has bit me so much and so freakin' hard that I can't do it anymore. It hurts too much and messes with my head too much. So my solution was to get a baby irn. And along came Remmi! He is the sweetest baby! He hasn't reached the bluffing age, which sounds like your Indie is going thru. Don't back off. If he's making contact and it doesn't hurt, don't back down. If he's making contact and it hurts try your best not to back down. Don't pull away and freak. Which is what I did with Byndi. And so he won. Please don't give up on Indie! You're reminding me of me. Be strong and make this little bird know you're the boss and he needs to do as you say. You'll get thru it. Everyone else has. It hasn't been fun, but they've made it. If you have any questions, this is the place to get them answered. Lots of IRN veterans on this board. They've helped me thru plenty! It's a support group of people who have been there and done that. And they really care. They're wonderful people and enjoy being used. So use 'em up!
Take care and if you need anything just let us know. But most of all, be strong and don't give up.

Hugs,
Jen, Byndi & Remmi
spinnergirl

irn

Post by spinnergirl »

Congrats on getting your baby IRN :D

I do believe that all parrots esp IRNs "test" us, and your guy is so young that I suspect he is testing the waters as to what is acceptable conduct, and such.

Don't give up, just hang in there...the pinning is an awesome thing that not all parrots do. It is a clue to wheter you are gonna get bitten or that he might be simply interested in something. You'll have to distinguish for youself which is which. But it is a great indicator of an IRNs mood.

Enjoy your new baby...
Kristy and her Crew
Danny

Post by Danny »

WOW Thanks for your replies, Dani, Jen & Kristie..

I really appreciate the time you took to reply back. Hopefully when he does the pinning thing he's not pissed off at me all the time! :lol: Why can't they all be little angels...ahh well life ain't that easy I guess.

Although I probably should get rid of my Acrylic Nails, they have shiny blue flecks on the tips and Indie can't help but bite em and when he does it is really hard!!! Aaaggghhh...

thanks alot guys...will let you know how things pan out.

Sarah and Indie :wink:
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Great advice ya'll.

Again, an unpredictable bird gets NO SHOULDER TIME... ever, not even for a second. Unless you are ok with being its pet, rather than the other way around. Im not ok with that.

This goes TRIPLE for a bluffing stage/unpredictable bird. Plastic surgery is no fun.
~ Mikaela Sky

Darlene

Post by Darlene »

Hi, Sarah, I have a 10 month old IRN. He is very lucky that my husband & I are well endowed with a sense of humor and that our little Luna is so CUTE. I have learned that the flashing with his eyes ( pupils getting larger & smaller) means differant things. When I am holding him and cuddling him, his pupils change and he is effectionate. ... But, when he is being aggressive and bratty, his pupils gets larger and smaller and he puffs up at me and lunges. :lol: We just have to laugh becouse he is trying to be so bad. :lol: It is naughty behavior. But this is usually over touching his toys or putting my hand up on HIS spaces. He has bratty little temper tantrums just like a little kid in his terrable twos. I just ignore him when he screams or acts bratty. I just walk away and leave the room. His vocalizations turns from screaming or growling to calling me. And even sounds like he is crying sometimes. I don't return or pay attention until I hear him pleading for me to come back. And he gets attention after his behavior changes. On the biteing, I put a towel over my hand and pick him up anyway. To let him know he has a beek, I have a beek blocker and it won't do him any good to be a little blue brat. :lol: Right now I am working on some behavior issues with our Little guy, becouse I think he is kind of spoiled.
Darlene