My IRN seems sick, Help Please!

Moderator: Mods

Rohail

My IRN seems sick, Help Please!

Post by Rohail »

Hello Everyone, I've been feeding my IRN which had come from somewhere to our home about a month ago, We've been very happy since we got a fully trained, talkative, healthy & simply an amazing parrot which we'd been looking for, It's very talkative!

He woke up us every morning with his lot of noise & talks......But the problem arise today morning when he didn't speak a single word, I tried everything to made him excited so he'll talk but worthless... he's feeling sleepy & sit quietly (mostly sleeping) didn't speak a single work, this behavior is totally wired since he never keep quite like this, I think he's ill or something? what should i do? I've searched internet & could not found any avian vet here in Karachi, Pakistan... All vets are specialized in animal pets (specially cats,dogs) but not in birds. peoples on different forums didn't recommend to bring it to those vets (by their experience) they told they even couldn't able to tell the reason or name of diseases.

We feed him with boiled rice last night? weather is cold & raining here so what should be given to him?

Please help me what should i do by my self? any medication? any care? anything to make him like he was before?
ellieelectrons

Re: My IRN seems sick, Help Please!

Post by ellieelectrons »

I have read that they need to have extra heat usually in the form of a light when they are sick. You need to be careful not to make them too hot though. The suggestions I have read are using a heat lamp or a light that emits heat and place it so that the can be felt most at one corner of the cage. That way, if the bird needs it, they will snuggle closer to the heat but if it doesn't it will hang out at the other end of the cage.

Good luck. I hope he gets better soon.

Ellie.
Rohail

Post by Rohail »

Thanks for a reply, I've put him in sunlight, open the cage so he can hang out but he didn't even come out. As i noticed he's keep yawning or like he's having any difficulty in breathing? I read about air sacs but didn't think that he's infected with it since there are no other symptoms other than opening mouth so often. Symptoms that i observed are: not interested in eating, not speak since morning, not willing to come out, opening mouth often like yawning or something, feeling sleepy, being very much lazy overall..........I'm so much worried :( didn't want to lose my little angel. I'm going to that animal vet however.........
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I think the vet visit is a good idea... although if the vet isn't an avian vet, they may not know what to do. If you can get a heat lamp or something or even a lamp that emits heat, that is going to offer more concentrated heat than scattered sunlight.... but do be careful of not overheating the bird and making sure that it can get away from the heat source if it is getting too hot.

Good luck. I hope he feels better soon.

Ellie.
Rohail

Post by Rohail »

@ ellieelectrons Thanks a lot for your kind support.
I went to vet yesterday he examine & give liquid drops which i gave 4 times (after every 4 hours) till night & Good News is that my little Angel is absolutely fine & doing great, now sitting on my shoulder & staring a ring-neck on banner of this page :))

vet suggest me some common mistakes which we do without knowing its harmful effects on little birds. I want to share them. When they are few months old don't gave them everything we eat (like bread, seeds etc) just feed them on little amount of fruits (specially banana which digest quickly) And don't put over amount of anything (even fruit) on their cage as they eat over thus causes digestive problem, Increase the amount of food with passage of time.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Rohail

I'm so pleased... and really glad the vet was able to fix the problem!

You will have to post some pics of your little Angel soon.

Regards

Ellie.
Kray Twins

Post by Kray Twins »

I'm glad that this was resolved with a good ending!

I'm yet to find an avarian vet around me, I may need to travel to find one.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Where are you located? Perhaps someone on the forum can help you find one?

Ellie.