How do I tame my IRN?

Moderator: Mods

Nicola

How do I tame my IRN?

Post by Nicola »

Hi everyone.

I have a IRN that's about 6 months old. I have him for 2 months now and he hasn't been out of his cage as yet. I would love to tame him and to take him out, but he bites!

How do I start with the taming without upsetting or injuring him in the process?

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you

Nicola
SOUTH AFRICA
Jodie

question

Post by Jodie »

Hi,
Well, I would would make sure its wings are clipped. I would go find some nice thick welder type gloves and take it forcefully, I am sure, out of his cage. With a towel firmly hold it and clip its secondary wings. While you have it out, it is not a bad idea to clip the nails and beak if you know how. There is a website you can check out for more information http://www.cockatiels.org/articles/care/wing.html If you have never clipped before read up on it. The reason I suggest you clip its wings, is so you can keep the cage open. This way, it will come out of its cage on its own. To start taming it, talk to it each day and offer treats. If it does not take the treat leave it for it. Start with peanuts or fresh fruit, but only give the treat when you talk to it. Check out http://www.mresource.com/Birds/PERPET.HTM for some other tips. After about a week of talking and offering treats try to have it step up on that nice thick glove. Say step up. Oh, try to repeat the same phases and such to try to start training him. It will take some time. But just work with him every day. I am sure he will not be too happy about you wanting him to do things he does not want to, but you are the boss. I am sure you won't hurt him trying to train him. Even if it gets upset normally in five minutes it will forget about the incident. At least this is my experience. Hope this helps!
indian ringneck

Post by indian ringneck »

I agree with Jody, first of all, CLIP HIS WINGS! Taming an IRN without clipped wings is almost impossible. You should totally ingore his bites. Remember, he's a small bird and isn't capable of inflicting a large bite. If you cannot ignore his bites or he seems too intimidating, then i'd suggest that you wear gloves. My personel choice won't however be to wear gloves because wearing them, will mean that once he's tamed and you stop wearing gloves around him, he might start biting you again, figuring that the gloves prevent his nips but without them, you're doomed. I'd just ignore those bites. Indian Ringnecks are small parrots, and they're not able to bite off your finger like a macaw. I've never had a bird larger than an Indian Ringneck, and Kiki is our first large bird. Kiki is my pet Indian Ringneck.