It doesn't happen overnight, but.......ummm....yes it can!!

Moderator: Mods

pinkdevil

It doesn't happen overnight, but.......ummm....yes it can!!

Post by pinkdevil »

Two years ago I removed an aprox 7 day old lutino chick from the nest due to splayed legs. I called her Sponge-Bobette, Spongie for short. She was super sooky and wanted to be with me all the time. I ended up placing her in an aviary as I needed the room in the house for new babies. I spent time with her and she was still cuddly. After a few weeks she began to get bitey. She would purposely seek me out in the aviary and bite drawing blood. She would wait at the door and bite my neck or shoulders as I entered. When I tried to get her to step up or pet her she would fly off.

I did catch her a few times and hold her close like I used to do when she was younger and she didn't try to bite me, just tried to get away from me. But the minute she was free, again I was the enemy that needed to be punished.

This was our routine for the nest 1 1/2 years. Spongie looking for a moment when my eye was not on her and me trying to outwit her beak............until today.
I was again at the aviary talking to my birds when Spongie was on the wire watching me like she always does. This time she seemed different. Like she wanted me to actually touch her.

Ok, I am game. What is one more birdy scar?? So I petted her beak through the wire. She didn't try to bite, instead made that cute little baby bird noise that sucks you in all the time. Wound free! My bravery increased and decided to enter the aviary, expecting to see the red beak lunge forward for a chunk of my flesh. But NO!! :shock: This time she tilted her head back and ALLOWED me to pet her all over, just like old times.
I asked her to step up, (something she has refused to do for the last 18 months), and she did. No hesitation, no bites, no problem, instant step up.

Now, as she is 2 years old and breeding season is here, I understand she is coming into breeding mode etc. BUT, what I can not understand is the complete turnaround overnight! Yes, overnight, as still of yesterday I was still the bite buddy and could not get near her. Today the return of the sweet little ringie chick that I raised all those months ago.

So my question is, why is it that these birds seem to "forget" all the happy baby bird memories, the commands etc, and then, when THEY have decided it suits them to be nice, regain their manner memories????? Has anyone else experienced similar instant turnarounds of personality?

18 months is a long time to recall something that was taught without the continual training to remind them. Plus the INSTANT change in behaviour.
To me, it proves that they DO remember things from a long time ago, and have a bloody good memory at that!! :lol:
craigvik

Re: It doesn't happen overnight, but.......ummm....yes it ca

Post by craigvik »

Hi there,

Your story gives me hope with my Indy, I know I have spoken to you before about my problems with her and I have tried a few things you suggested but I have not yet been successful in stopping her biting and drawing blood, similar to you describe.

Some how I think I must be doing something wrong as she still seems to hate me, but maybe it is just going to take the time as you have described.
Great story, great job with Spongie!!

Vikki :lol: