pet rat with bird

Moderator: Mods

leo

pet rat with bird

Post by leo »

gi guys,i have some question about pet rat and bird...
hi, does any body have a pet rat?

can rat bring desease to bird? i mean like i have read about cat can bring virus to our fid, how about rat?
can i reuse cage that is used for rat? how should i clean it?
thansk alot
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
courtney

Post by courtney »

I have six chinchillas which is categorized in the rodent family so I guess it would be the same. My chins have their own chin room separated from my parrots. I have only one chinchilla Tucker is with me and my parrots. They are very dusty and parrots have an extremely sensitive respitory system.

I don’t understand what you mean by using the same cage. Birds and rat cages are totally different. You would need a bird cage not a rat cage. If you are using the bird cage for the rat I would bleach it and put it in the hot sun. But the cages are set up different. So I don’t know how you would switch them.

Rats can for sure bring in disease. Parasites is the main one. If you keep them separated and keep different cleaning buckets and sponges it will be fine. Don’t let them play together and keep the poop separated.

For my chinchillas I have everything labeled to separate my chinchillas and parrots. Like the sponges, cleaning buckets, ect.
Mom too, Two Jack Russell Terriers, Rocky & Jack, Six Chinnies, Three Fish Tanks, One Ringneck, Chiquita & One Conure, Boomer.

Feather friend

Re: pet rat with bird

Post by Feather friend »

Hi I have 5 pet rats in the same room as my birds.
The only problem I have ever had was when I brought in a rescue bird with mites it gave all my other birds and the Ratties mites but was easy cured with some spot on treatment.
The birds do tend to stay in their cages when the rats are out and about or perch up high like they are not keen on them. Althrough they do visit the on their cage when they are in.
vinny187666

Post by vinny187666 »

be careful with them out at the same time, my rat killed my budgie :cry:
sean mcewan

Post by sean mcewan »

thats sad :(
Celithemis

Post by Celithemis »

It is okay to have rats and birds in the same room, but never let them interact. Even though rats are omnivorous rodents, they are also hunters, and naturally eat birds and other small animals.
Razsringnecks

Post by Razsringnecks »

:shock: