new owner

Moderator: Mods

bundy-blue

new owner

Post by bundy-blue »

Hi i just bought home my new indian ringneck (named bundy-blue),he is a very young blue who looks like he hasnt got all his feathers yet?
at what age do they recieve all their tail feathers?
the tip of his beak is still black,so i am thinking he is still very young
my dad had him for a month before i got him,he can wolf whistle and is very loving,loves a good scratch behind his head and he also follows us around the house...
bundy-blue

Re: new owner

Post by bundy-blue »

bundy-blue wrote:Hi i just bought home my new indian ringneck (named bundy-blue),he is a very young blue who looks like he hasnt got all his feathers yet?
at what age do they recieve all their tail feathers?
the tip of his beak is still black,so i am thinking he is still very young
my dad had him for a month before i got him,he can wolf whistle and is very loving,loves a good scratch behind his head and he also follows us around the house...
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 ... =553510052
charlie

Post by charlie »

Hi, and congrats on your new family member :)

I'm not an expert, but to me he/she looks like he may of been plucking? My IRN is 5 months old and has had all of her feathers since I had her. Where did your dad get him from? Do you know anything about his past? He looks lovley though.
bundy-blue

Post by bundy-blue »

HI thanks for your reply,he is just adorable.
i have no idea of his past,my father got him about a month ago and he too has no idea :(
is there anything i can do for plucking?
thanks again
Melika

Post by Melika »

First you would want to visit a vet and make sure it isn't some sort of infection that could be causing him to pluck.

Once that is eliminated, and your vet will probably tell you this, you'll be looking at diet (for allergies though not very likely), environment (lack of humidity, cig smoke, bathing), behavior (do you see him pull feathers? Boredom?), etc.

It's difficult to know why, since you don't know his background. Just take one thing at a time. :) And he's beautiful.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
bundy-blue

Post by bundy-blue »

i have noticed that there is no feathers in his cage,he has alot of fluff feathers which i persume are baby feathers,the bottom of his top beak is still black,and his bottom beak too,the tail feathers he does have a short,so i was thinking he is only 3-4 months old..his head is a beautiful full head of feathers then its patchy with fluff and feathers from neck down..
he cleans his own feathers quiet often,i haven't noticed him plucking at all..
i was wondering if any one could tell me how old IRN's are when they have all their feathers...
this cheeky boy hates being in his cage and is always cruising around on one of our shoulders
cheers
Melika

Post by Melika »

If you look here: http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... ?f=1&t=799
You'll see a baby bird with all his feathers. Most parrots don't get a down feathering like, say, chickens do. They're ugly and mostly bald and get a little feathering then all those ugly pins of their big feathers before they get pretty. The tail feathers take the longest to grow in fully. ^^

Adult IRNs often have a black bottom beak and the bottom edge of the top beak will be black as well. Such as Hane, pictured in my signature. Baby birds that have black on the beak will have it on the top of the upper beak like this: http://tmbirdhouse.blogspot.com/2007/06 ... icely.html

I do believe you have an adult bird. At least a bird well passed fledging and weaning.

Are you seeing the pins of new feathers yet? This will let you know if new feathers are growing in and that he's letting them.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay