Working All Day...

Moderator: Mods

fred.e

Working All Day...

Post by fred.e »

Hi there,

I've only recently got my beautiful hand reared IRN - now officially named Austin. It's been two full days and he's eating his apples and even went through the mix and picked out all the sunflower seeds which is exciting because the day before he didn't even touch them (I guess his curiosity got the better of him).

I have one real concern about Austin, and that is that my wife and I work all day and he's home alone with the radio on. We talk to him in the morning, give him a treat, pick him up and give him lots of attention and when we get home no matter the time again give him lots of attention. My fear is that because we are not interacting all day with Austin that we will not get his trust as there's approximately 8 hours of the day where he's on his own (with his toys and stuff so hopefully doesn't get too bored).

I guess just don't want all the hard work of the breeder gone because we are both at work and the only time we have all day is the weekends...

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks, Fred.e
paddyowner

Post by paddyowner »

My Lutino Ringneck, Paddy, is exactly the same. My partner and I are both away from home from 7.30 in the morning until 6 at night and Paddy seems completely unaffected by it. In fact, he really is pleased to see us when we get in, but trusts us both like we were his real parents.

Try and handle Austin as much as possible when you are around, and he will realise that the routine is to be on his own during the day, and with you during the evening.

Good Luck!
Diane H.

working all day

Post by Diane H. »

Dear Fred,

I, too, work all day. My Indian Ringneck, Cosmo has gotten used to my schedule. AT first, he was ready for bed by the time I got home. Now he livens up when I get home and we have play time. He seems very unaffected by my being gone all day.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Hi there - I am a new owner of a IRN - first bird I've ever had so I am very inexperienced at this caper. Anyway my bird, Atticus, spends most days alone as well and only comes to life at about 5pm when everybody is home. My question is whether it is alright for him to be up until about 8pm or later so we can all spend some time together. He generally gets up around 6am so I'm not sure if he is getting enough sleep, or whether he naps during the day to make up for it. I feel guilty putting him to bed if he is not tired, plus I miss him and want to spend time with him, especially while he settles in. Hope you can help!
fred.e

Post by fred.e »

Congratulations Carrie, trust me - do the right thing, read the posts and you'll learn a heap with your new IRN. It comes down to time & patience.

My wife and I work all day, we leave home about 8:00 am but he is up at sunrise (even weekends :) At first I thought he may have a problem with us being away all day, but during the Christmas holidays I noticed that he was happy playing with his toys, climbing, chewing, eating and tearing up his cardboard toilet roll. As long as he's got something to occupy him he'll be fine and normally he'll find something anyway. I always leave the radio on whilst out of home.

Regarding sleeping, I let Austin go to bed anytime he wants... Sometimes my wife and I come home really late, but I make an effort to spend at least 10 minutes with him or make this the time to clean his cage - just to interact. I guess I'm lucky but as long as Austin get's his dose of attention he's happy to sit on his perch when Lillie and I decide it's bed time. We don't cover his cage as he happily sits there and if not he attacks his beloved bell toy for a minute or two then settles. No matter the time, even if we come home late and he is on one foot napping I open the cage and if he puts both feet down I put my hand in and tell him up.. If he comes I'll spend time, if not he can stay - but if Lillie and I are watching TV he has to join in.. It's amazing how he is really beginning to feel a part of the family.

The way I see it, no matter the time I have a play with him, even sometimes when I can't sleep - I figure he's got plenty of time to sleep while we're at work. Sometime he doesn't want to play and he lets me know it - and I have learnt.

BTW, the bluffing stage is officially over - Thank God.. :)
carrie

Post by carrie »

Thanks for the advice fred - last night he stayed up a bit later than usual and when he was put to bed he settled much more quickly than before. I tell you, there is a lot to learn with theses cute little fellas! I will be reading a lot of posts!