Ok, I'm new at this!

Moderator: Mods

jen5239
Community Greeter

Ok, I'm new at this!

Post by jen5239 »

Ok everyone,
Here we go again with me needing help. I got my new baby today and he's 3 1/2 months old. Sweetest personality! But I'm not sure on what to do from here. I don't want to put him down. But I know I can't hold him all the time or he's going to get spoiled and be a screaming brat. But when I put him in his cage a while ago he just clung to the back bars like he was terrified. And that broke my heart. So of course I HAD to go get him out. Is this normal?? I know he's in a new surrounding and everything. Is there something I should be doing? And he and Byndi had a couple confrontations on the playstand. Is that normal? Is a territory/I'm top dog kind of thing? Will this stop eventually? It wasn't anything major. But there was some attitude on Byndi's part. Gee big surprise! Attitude from Mr. Byndi! Tee hee. Well if you could help with this and give me some pointers I would love you all even more than I already do!

Hugs,
Jen
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

At this age, hold and bond. He wont become a screamer unless you perpetuate that through his first year.

However, DO NOT give him more attention today than you will be able to next week or month. That isnt fair to him.

It is Ok to hold them alot. What is more important is consistancy. If you play with them for an hour a day, keep it at at least an hour.

A SHOULDER BIRD IS WHAT MAKES A SCREAMING BIRD. If anyone knows, I do. Lived it.

Pro clip... Con shoulder. Works for my babies.

Melika, you had a term for this with puppies? When you get a new pup then stop paying it so much attention? Forgot the term but it applies here.

Thats it, thanks Melika.
Last edited by Mikaela on Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Mikaela Sky

jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Thanks Mikaela! I appreciate it. I called Sue and she said he's probably a little scared cuz he's the only one in the cage now and he wasn't there. So she asked if I had a little stuffed animal I could put in the cage for him to cuddle with during the night. So I did that and he's not clinging to the back of the cage anymore. HOW in the world do you train them to drink from a water bottle? Remmi drinks from a bowl and Milo and Byndi from a bottle. I think I like the bottle idea better. Any ideas?

Hugs,
Jen
Melika

Post by Melika »

New-puppy syndrome. We've all seen it, in children and adults. Piles of love and attention threatening to drown the animals then dwindles to nothing as the animal matures.

My dog is eight and I still tell people to look at my dog (sleeping, scratching, awake, eating- all the time) because "He's So CUTE!" My family sighs when I say it, they say he always looks that way. But to me he's cuter every time. ^_~ As it should be. :D

Anywho, yep, he's just a little scared cause it's all new to him.

I wouldn't worry about a water bottle just yet, wait until he's more comfortable and drinking out of his water dish first, lol. After a month or so put the water bottle above where the water dish is, and your new baby should play with it and learn there's water inside. Never had trouble with any bird this way. Just keep the water dish in there until you're certain the bird can drink from the bottle. ^^

Oh, and the aggresion is normal. When you're new baby matures, it may increase though. Hane is meaner to Tsume then he used to be. >.<
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Jen:

For toys and animals to make him feel safe, check this out.

http://www.indianringneck.com/board/vie ... php?t=1090
~ Mikaela Sky