wont come to me when told

Moderator: Mods

addicknchips

wont come to me when told

Post by addicknchips »

dont know if anyone has the same problem. i have a very tame 6 month old ringneck who is as tame as i could have wished, apart from one thing. i can never command him to fly over to me. he does it on his own accord but if he is sitting somewhere and i want him to come over to me i cant get him to. have tried whistling and calling him but nothing works unless i have a treat for him.
JHowes
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Getting a bird to come when called is about as easy as getting a cat to. It would most likely happen only when favorite foods are involved.

Try holding up some spray millet. After a few times of him coming, give him some. Dont give it every time, thereafter. Then he wont know if he is or isnt going to get a treat but the curiousity will get the action you request. Hopefully.
~ Mikaela Sky

ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Unlike dogs, which come when called, birds use a different system of communication. Birds were designed to fly and have superb eyesight. Because of this, all that is needed from each partner is a contact call. This contact call has many purposes such as location, strengthening the bond, and alerting flock members of danger. Ever wonder why you leave your parrot and you hear him/her call? He/she is just making sure you’re close in proximity. Now how does this relate to coming on command?

This relates because a simple reply from you was all that was needed. Notice how once you say, “I right here,” your parrot will stop to call for a few minutes until the same communication cycle is repeated. If a parrot chooses, he/she will then come to you willingly or just be content that you replied with your answer. So how do you get your parrot to come on command?

Start off with simple exercises. Take your ringneck and place him on the counter, table, floor, or bed and place your finger a few inches away from him/her. Call out a command and wait for him/her to step up. Once the ringneck has complied, praise and reward him/her. Practice this until your sure your ringneck understands. Now move your finger back further and further and continue this cycle until you’re in a different room. This behavior is used for people who practice free flight with parrots and is called recalling.

Hope this helps and best wishes.

Imran Chaudhry