HI

Moderator: Mods

Duckie

HI

Post by Duckie »

I was going through all my bird sites and was happy to open this one and see that this board had started chirrping with more ringneck love.

I got Ducky when he was 4 months old and now he is 10 mo. 1st time owner of a ringneck and love it

my ?? when i got him his wings where clipped already and I havent clipped them since how often do they need clipped . he is not a good flyer he takes off but falls to the floor

well I can of course go on and on because they are so fun to live with

Is he pretty much as big as he will get size wise??

I call him a he but not totally forsure he can strut his stuff and bob his head at something he likes thats why i feel he may be a boy.
Jodie

your ringneck

Post by Jodie »

Hi,
Ringnecks get around fifteen inches in length,slightly larger than a cockatiel. I would say that at 10 months he is about as big as he is gonna get. I would clip wings when he is flying about. From what you said, it sounds like he is not flying. I am rather surprised that you haven't had to clip his wings. I have heard that it is better to keep pets grounded, but I have a conure who I do not clip. He flys to my shoulder and flys to his cage (most of the time on que). I think it is a very cute trick. It does annoy the other birds at times but my conure is more special. You can tell how your bird acts whether to clip his wings or not. If he is flying and does not want to step up or acts moody, I would clip the wings because he is not as dependant on you which could result in behavior problems.
I think the bobing of the head is a female trait. Struting sounds like a male trait. I am not sure, perhaps someone else could help you with this. Or your best bet is to have it sexed. You can get a feather sexing done for around $25.00 at various places. Or you can wait about a year and a faint ring might appear.
Hope this helps!
jodie

gender characteristics

Post by jodie »

Hi,
I noticed in this same forum there is a question on how to tell a female from a male you might want to check out.
Hope this helps!