All 3 of my ringnecks have just started eating paper

Moderator: Mods

Loretta

All 3 of my ringnecks have just started eating paper

Post by Loretta »

Could anyone help me with this? All of my ringnecks are eating the paper towels that I lined their cages with. They have never done this before.

I know they are not hungry because I feed them everyday and they have the apple cider vinegar in their water.

I am so confused, is this a sign or something? Neither of my ringnecks will breed either and for that I am really sad.

:(
Jodie

eating paper towels

Post by Jodie »

Hi,
My birds pull up the paper towel linings all the time. I don't think they are eating it, I think they have found a new pasttime. They are just playing. It is not abnormal for your birds to pick up and destroy the paper towel lining. If it really upsets you wet the paper towel prior to laying it in the tray. When it drys, it should be below the reaching range of the birds. They can get at a curved edge if this is not done. If the cage does not have the wire shelf over the tray, try going a few weeks with out the paper towel liner. I might would add a new, colorful toy for them too.
I am sorry to hear your birds are not in the mood. I recently bought new breeders that are getting used to me and their enviroment. I hoped they would be more interested in their mate, but no luck so far. I am not sure if your birds normally gave you babies around this time or not, but you could still have hope until May or the end of their breeding season where ever you are.
Best of luck! Hope this helps!

Post by Guest »

Thank you Jodie that is a relief to hear about the paper towels. I was not able to figure out what they were doing. I removed all the liners earlier today.

As for the breeding, I live in Pennsylvania. My ringnecks are 2 years old
is there a certain time of year different here in Pa?

I also have cockatiels and so far they have 2 eggs last time I looked, but I sure wished I could get some baby ringnecks.

Thanks again

Loretta
Jodie

breeding

Post by Jodie »

Hi,
If you have them indoors they could breed as early as December until May. Normal outdoor breeding is in February to August. However, some birds are reverse and breed in July to December.
Your birds may not be sexually mature to breed. The guidelines are two years old for a female and three for males. There are all kinds of what if's (enviroment, diet, lighting etc.). Just hang in there. I am sure with time and patience, they will give you babies.
Hope this helps!