How to clip IRNs wings

Moderator: Mods

iluq8

How to clip IRNs wings

Post by iluq8 »

Dear all,
can anyone advise me how to clip IRNs wings.i have bought 2 IRNs recently.can i do the wings clip y myself?if anybody is having 'wings clipping' phots or videos please forward to me.it would be very helpful for me..
thanks in advance
AN
KWT
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi,

I found quite a few sites that show how to clip wings.

Here is one link that gives a bit of "pros and cons" info, while this link tells you how.

I would recommend that you have your first clip done by a vet or breeder so they can show you how.

I feel it is a 2 person job as if the bird moves around you could easily cut and injure the bird....or yourself.

Good luck. :)
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Yep you can do it yourself, once you have researched it properly and watched someone with experience do it first. I watched a breeder and then a vet. I now clip my own fids with confidence and also get called on by family friends and neighbours to do their birds.

There are all kinds of things to know and decide. Some leave the two tip flights so that when the birds have their wings closed there are cross overs, for appearance. I personally think they get in the way for the bird and like to take them off. You have to make sure you clip without cutting the coverts and also make sure you know what is a blood feather and make sure you don't cut one of them, as they are almost impossible to get to stop bleeding. To know what to do if for some reason you do.

To know that you clip both wings, not just one.

You have to make sure you know to keep the bird low once you have clipped them, so that when they try to take off from you, the can't fall. They will try to fly up off the ground and realise they can't. They accept that they cannot fly then and when perching know to climb down rather than attempt to fly and hurt themselves.

Hmm let me think what else ?? ... with all this consideration you then need to know technique, which as stated earlier is best learnt by watching an expert for the first time, although if you read up on how to clip and feel you can attempt it yourself thats your choice.

Cheers !
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Angie and Pink nailed it straight on the head! Such wonderful members we got here! :wink:

Best Wishes,

Imran
julie

Post by julie »

also watch how the bird is held when someone else is doing the clipping, it really helps to know how to hold them and is a lot less stress for both the bird and the clipper.