My Bird Bites!

Moderator: Mods

paddyowner

My Bird Bites!

Post by paddyowner »

My Lutino rinneck, Paddy, is a lovely young bird with a cheeky, yet friendly personality. My partner and I got him, hand reared, from a relative about 4 months ago now. When we first got him, he bit us if we went near him, and wouldn't even come out of his cage. He has competely changed now, and loves spending time out of his cage. The only problem we have, is the fact that he won't get out directly on to our hands. What I mean is, he will get onto our hand if we have a cloth, or and old sock or such like on our hand, but just will not get onto our bare hands. Can anybody possibly explain why this could be?

Also, we need some tips on teaching him to talk! He is very vocal, especially when we leave the room, as he sqwarks like mad when he knows we're in the house but not paying him any attention!

Many thanks.
Jodie

bird behavior

Post by Jodie »

Hi,
It sounds like you are making excellant progress with Paddy! When babies are hand fed I use a towel to hold them in while I feed each baby. I keep the baby in the towel for warm while socializing and handling them while they feather. Usig a towel is good for babies so they are not afraid of them later when wrapped in them for their nails and wings to be clipped. I have a breeder ringneck that will step up on the end of the perch. Most others I use a nice thick welder glove (so they can bite the glove instead of me!). If Paddy is not biting as he steps up try a white colored glove. Maybe within time he will step up without the glove.
As far as teaching him to talk, that's easy, talk to him! Say the same phases cleary each time you see him. I have read they can talk as early as six months but I had one talking at a year. But when he started talking he just exploded! He knew at least five words and phases with a couple whistles. I have bought breeder birds that are not pets but have picked up the wolf whistle, so there is no age limit! Just be consistent with what you say.
When you leave the room say bye, bye before you leave. I don't know if you have had him on your shoulder, but my conure loves to be out and about on my shoulder. I also have free standing perches in the living room and computer room for him to go to. I have hanging bird treats and toys for his enjoyment. Plus the bottom has a thick edge to catch seed and a laminate floor for easy poop cleaning. Perhaps your bird might enjoy a perch or hanging out on your shoulder. I have trained my conure to fly to his cage or perch. He also flys to my shoulder. It is a cute trick but annoying when I am handling other birds. Maybe Paddy just wants you to answer him when you are home but not paying attention to him. I have quite a few birds and they get quite loud at times. When I get close to their room or say no, they quite down ( at least for a moment!).
But it sounds like you are on the right track! Hope this helps!
tzigane

Some friendly advice...

Post by tzigane »

paddyowner:
I agree with Jodie.

Birds usually bite out of fear. I realize that your bird was hand reared but perhaps s/he is still nervous about the new surroundings. I have a cockatiel that I heard singing beautifully before I brought him home but as soon as I got him home he just clammed right up. As a matter of fact, he was quiet for so long, months in fact, that I thought I had been given the wrong bird! Just when I had accepted that my new flock member wasn't the singer I had hoped, I woke up to a beautiful song early one morning. What a pleasant surprise.

Anyway, my point was, keep doing what you're doing, go slowly and calmly and Paddy will warm up to you, no problem. One thing to look for is pin-pointing of his eyes, that when his pupils will get smaller and bigger quickly. I know that my IRN eyes will pin-point right before he tries to give me a chomp! Most importantly, learn your bird's body language that proceeds a bite, that way you can learn to anticipate it and head it off with a distraction, like a toy or a treat.
Have a great day!
tzigane