abandoned bird behavior

Moderator: Mods

lemon zeringue

abandoned bird behavior

Post by lemon zeringue »

hello,
My name is glenn and I live in what's left of New Orleans, Louisiana. My wife was with a crew of helpers from our church and they found an abandoned ring neck in a house whose owner was washed away by Katrina. It's really sad.
The animal shelters here are just over run with animals so we brought it home. He doesn't seem to have any physical damage. He was in the house alone since Katrina hit about 4 weeks ago. He does eat so that's good.
I have a lot of pets including mini- pigs and I grew up on a farm but this is my 1st experience with a bird. This guy is really, really NOISY! :shock: he screams a lot in bird language I'm worried that he's in a lot of distress. Is there a way that I can quiet him down a little without keeping him covered. He's been through a lot, we all have. We are going to keep him though. Any info on behavior would be great. I'll be getting a crash course on parrots later this week.
Z
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

Theres a group down there dedicated to helping the parrot victims of Katrina... you might talk to them. They are caring for the birds and holding them to reunite as many birds as possible with their owners as people start being able to return.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/911ParrotAlert/

Thats their page, where they usually post information on lost and found birds. Just let them know you need to talk to Donna bout a NO bird :)

Athena