Not biting but nipping?

Moderator: Mods

Atticus

Not biting but nipping?

Post by Atticus »

I have a Blue IRN. He is my first bird. Atticus is 7 months old and I think I am doing everything right. He is trying to talk but hasn't yet. He knows "UP" and will perch on a hand held stick or my hand. He sits on my shoulder while I work on my computer. We get along Great!

Here is my one problem, I know IRN's are territorial but Atticus nips at me when I try to take him from his cage. I don't want to upset him by just grabbing him and coaxing just doesn't work. If I'm patient and let him come out on his own he'll happily sit on my shoulder with no problems.
He also doesn't like to be held. Is it his personality or is this normal IRN behavior? Just not sure how to handle this.
ringneck
Site Admin

nipping Ringneck

Post by ringneck »

Hello Atticus

Welcome to this forum! I know the feeling. My male Ringneck who I just admire is in heat at the moment. He has changed from a cuddly little parrot into a monster. I have noticed he has become really nippy. As a matter of fact I have gotten two really hard bites in a matter of weeks. I feel like he has reverted back into the “bluffing” stage.

I know it’s just a matter of time before this stage ends but I can’t wait. But back to your question about your Ringneck nipping at you. I would just open up the cage door and place a nice TASTY treat on top of the cage. Let your Ringneck come outside and then pick him up. I know some Ringnecks can become territorial and refuse to listen inside their cage.

When he does nip at you ignore it at all costs. Any slight reaction can reinforce this behavior.

I would work on step ups inside his cage so this problem does not get out of hand. A Ringneck beak can be a nice weapon and give you a nasty scar.

Tell me how it goes and keep us updated!

Best wishes & happy holidays! :wink:

Imran C.