Fisrt day with IRN.....Please help mi

Moderator: Mods

Rasul

Fisrt day with IRN.....Please help mi

Post by Rasul »

Hi everyone...I need a big help
Today my parents bougth for mi two ringnecks...They are just amazing and beautiful.... :arrow: But this is my first day with them and i dont know what to do.....
:?: Help mi what am i to do.... :arrow: the bird is scared of mi....

The stall man said the birds are around a year old and he said the the bird is still young and cant tell mi what gender they are ...
:arrow: Soo how to find it....

:arrow: the bird is scared of mi....
:arrow:How to show the new birds that i care and love for them .....
:?: How to tame them so that i can put it on my shoulder.....
:?: Can i have both the new IRN together....In the shop they both were in the same cage with other IRNs....
ringneck
Site Admin

Taming and Sexing Ringnecks

Post by ringneck »

Hello

Sorry for the late reply been so busy with school! If I understand you correctly your interested in sexing the Ringnecks before the rings appears and how to tame.

Firstly, there are many ways to sex Ringnecks before they reach sexual maturity. My first key rule into sexing before the ring appears is through body shape. Hens are structured more massive compared to males. The feet and toes are thicker and their beak is slightly smaller. The males tend to be more vibrant. I have tried too many times and have talked with many other Ringneck owners about sexing. I am constantly searching for reliable ways to sex Ringnecks.

The other method, which is 99.9% accurate, is DNA testing. Search in google for “Avian Sexing,” and many sites will show up. Some test kits only require you to pluck a few feathers and send them in for analysis.

Secondly, if you want to tame the Ringnecks it would be a good idea to separate them. Ringnecks which were not handfed, or tamed individually for some time, prefer their own kind. You can spend countless hours in taming and get very little results with two Ringnecks together. What’s the best solution?

Buy one more cage and keep the other Ringnecks separate. Then feed your Ringneck with treats until it starts to associates you with food. The key is to take baby steps and let the Ringneck set the pace. Never forced your Ringneck or grab your Ringneck out of its cage and put him/her on you. This can and will almost work against your efforts when it comes to taming. Just offer your hand and let the Ringneck step on you. The key here is patience.

Hope this helps and happy holidays! :wink:

Best Wishes

I.C.