care of a parrot chick

Moderator: Mods

karthik_shivram

care of a parrot chick

Post by karthik_shivram »

hello there
my name is karthik ilive in india.
i am 15 yrs old and owned two irn chicks out of which one has survived. i feed them corn flour mixed with water three times a day and it is ina cage.
i hav no idea how old the parrot is and what to do next. plz. i beg u all to send suggestions. i'd like some help on this. it doesn't like me touching it i'd like to know how i can win its trust
Jodie

questions

Post by Jodie »

Hi,
I am alittle confused. Could you explain more about your situation. Is the bird a baby? Does it have all of it's feathers? If you are trying to hand feed it, you need to find the proper hand feeding formula for babies. I am not sure of the nutritional content for corn flour mix, but it sounds too rough for a baby. If the bird is older, it may be able to eat moistened corn flour mix but this is not a good diet for your bird. Indian Ringnecks are not real cuddly birds. Some are, but it takes alot of time to make a ringneck let you pet it. There are a few good websites I am recommending you check out: http://www.angelfire.com/biz/puds1/handfeeding.html for an insight on how often you should feed and weights your bird should be; http://www.indianringneck.com/handfeed/ is another good reference site; http://www.bluequaker.com/Art-036.htm has some information on ringnecks as pets and diet and lastly, http://www.mresource.com/Birds/PERPET.HTM which has everything you need to know about a new ringneck. If these do not help you or answer your questions, let us know! I hope this helps you, best of luck!
Melika

Post by Melika »

I understand that in India it can be difficult to get ahold of bird supplies.

Those links Jodie gave should help you though, and I did find an emergency formula mixture but it's only meant to be used for one or two days only.
http://www.cockatielcottage.net/formula.html

cornmeal and water does not have all the nutrients a baby parrot will need to grow properly. If you can get ahold of some hand-feeding formula that would be best.
selma

gimmick's posts

Post by selma »

This is the second time i have come across this person's message. And it's always just the same link which does not have anything to do with Indian ringnecks. Is there no administrator on this forum to remove his/her posts?
Melika

Post by Melika »

It has to do with baby birds. 'tiels will get the same formula as baby ringnecks. The recipe on that link is for baby birds, but meant to be only used for one or two days until you can buy formula, because corn flour and water isn't good enough for a baby parrot.

EDIT: again, I know this is an oldie. I just didn't catch it until now. ^_~
Last edited by Melika on Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Yes, there is a moderator, though I fail to see a problem.

Should there be one I am overlooking, by all means, point it out.

If you need baby formula, I will buy some and mail it to you. PM me if you need food for your bird.
~ Mikaela Sky

IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

Yeh I don’t see any problem either. Most of the information I get from this site applies to both my IRN and my African grey.
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Where Selma wrote that the message was not relevant was after an old gimmick post that has since been removed. No problem now but at the time Selma was addressing how annoying Gimmicks posts were.
-Chamon-

Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Ew, I remember that guy. Yall must have outted him shortly after I arrived because I got a chance to have a good go at him. Yay Me! What jerk. :roll:
~ Mikaela Sky

Melika

Post by Melika »

Datsun and Family wrote:Where Selma wrote that the message was not relevant was after an old gimmick post that has since been removed. No problem now but at the time Selma was addressing how annoying Gimmicks posts were.

Ohhhhh, now it all makes sense, lol. :oops:
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

I’d just like to take this opportunity to apologise to Selma if i offended her. I assumed she was dissin melika.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Since one was deleted, all of these messages are tumbled about.

We all love eachother :!:
~ Mikaela Sky

selma

Post by selma »

Oh goodness i just saw this post now. Oh no i was definitely referring to gimmick. If you look at the subject title it says Gimmick's posts. I guess i should have made it a little clearer in the actual message. No Offence taken and thanks Datsun for clearing it up. :D
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

This is BY FAR the most pleasant board I have ever been a member of. I am so greatful it was created and I ran across it :!:
~ Mikaela Sky