Rescued 4 month old IRN

Moderator: Mods

Rita

Rescued 4 month old IRN

Post by Rita »

Hi, I just adopted, what I was told was a yellow four month old baby IRN. She was hand raised and then placed in a cage for one month with little to no interaction except for feeding and cleaning. In order for me to get her out of the cage I must use a towel and cover her. She is very scruffy looking, I am hoping it is due to her young age, and her feathers are still coming in. I hope i was not given the wrong info.
Since I am NEW to having a IRN as well as this site, How can I get her to trust me? She is soooo cute and I feel that with individualized attention, toweled, and cuddled I can tame her. Am I right? I have a 18 month old cockateil that was completely tame when I got her at three months. Any good books out there to help me with my baby rescue? Thanks Rita
:?
Misty_Anikin

Post by Misty_Anikin »

Hello Rita,

You are right! Your little bird is probably molting (new feathers coming in). She might also be in need of a bath. You can either spray her with a water bottle a couple times or offer her a bowl of water to play in. I usually bathe my bird a few times a week...it also keeps their skin from getting irritated. Just make sure it's not too cold when she bathes.

You are also right about taming her and you have the right idea and attitude! Spend as much time as you can with her; this will help her to bond and trust you. A great way to get your bird to trust you is to talk, interact/ handle (as much as she allows you to) with her as much as you can, offer her little treats or toys, and give her space when she doesn't want to be bothered.

There are not very many books about Indian Ringnecks unfortunately. If you need anymore information I'm happy to offer any help. :wink: I think it is great that you saved the little bird, I’m sure she'll be very happy with you! Good luck :)
-Misty
Jetti

My Precious Baby

Post by Jetti »

Hi Misty: Thanks for your reply. Is it alright to use the towel to get her out of the cage, as it frightens her tremendously. I am talking to her as much as I can and she has chirped back at me a few times today. She moves her head from side to side and tilts it too as I speak to her. Any other help is greatly appreciated. Rita

Misty_Anikin wrote:Hello Rita,

You are right! Your little bird is probably molting (new feathers coming in). She might also be in need of a bath. You can either spray her with a water bottle a couple times or offer her a bowl of water to play in. I usually bathe my bird a few times a week...it also keeps their skin from getting irritated. Just make sure it's not too cold when she bathes.

You are also right about taming her and you have the right idea and attitude! Spend as much time as you can with her; this will help her to bond and trust you. A great way to get your bird to trust you is to talk, interact/ handle (as much as she allows you to) with her as much as you can, offer her little treats or toys, and give her space when she doesn't want to be bothered.

There are not very many books about Indian Ringnecks unfortunately. If you need anymore information I'm happy to offer any help. :wink: I think it is great that you saved the little bird, I’m sure she'll be very happy with you! Good luck :)
:wink: :wink: :wink: :?
Misty_Anikin

Post by Misty_Anikin »

Rita,

Why do you use a towel to pick her up? Does she bite? And if she does bite you is it a lunging painful bite or just a little nip? I think my IRN was still a little nippy around 4 months; it's just a stage and they grow out of it ;) usually that is! If that's the case give her some time. And, If at all possible I would try not to use a towel to pick her up if it scares her so much. You want her to feel safe so she can bond with you. You can try to pick her up using something like a stick, or perch that she is use to. This may help her with the fear factor. Hope this helps. :)
-Misty
janice

Post by janice »

Hi Rita,
I purchased my IRN at a yard sale in June. The first thing she did was bite both my ears. This let me know she was going to need a lot of TLC. I went to a pet store to get a book also and it had one page on IRN. Big help :? I did talk to the man that was working with the birds and seemed to know more than most of them. I told him about her biting and he said to be patient and let her come to me. I started with step up and believe me I had bloody fingers for a long time. I also used the wobble to break her from biting. When you get your bird to step up if she reaches down to bite just tip your hand enough to take her mind off of biting. We have come a long ways since June. Good luck with your training. This web site has been a great help to me. Hang in there I know you can do it. :D
Janice