why r they so territorial?

Moderator: Mods

selma

why r they so territorial?

Post by selma »

Something that i've been wondering about...i mentioned before that our baby lunges when i touch his cage. The question is this: Most of the time i go to the cage to put food and water inside. So shouldn't he be happy that i'm coming to give him his food? Why would he try to stop me? The funny thing is once i've managed to put his dish inside he happily runs over to eat. I know they don't think like humans but surely he would associate my coming to the cage as mealtime? Any thoughts on that anyone?
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Selma:

Hun my Baby girl was the exact same way... this is what I did and now I remove her on the back of my hand, no problem ever and I am here to tell you, they dont make a more vicous bird than my Baby.

Here is what I did:

Buy a small perch that will be her 'step up' stick. Talk to her softly as you press the stick against her lower chest saying "step up'. As a baby, when you touch there it is like a natural reaction for them to step onto the stick. DO NOT stop until she gives in so grab a chair and some Vodka, this is going to push your patience. When she steps up the first time. Yay! make a hugh deal. Thats a good baby to step up for Mommie. Then play with her or whatever. Then have her step back up onto the stick and take her to her cage and tell her to step down and too make a big deal out of that. I PROMISE YOU, within a week, youre baby will not be lunging at you and will know what is expected when she sees her stick.

It worked for me when nothing else would. Here is a pic of her vicious days when they closest I could get to her was stick length. But NO WAY was I going to allow her to eat up so many hours of my time for nothing, I had to take action.

After about a week of the step up stick, she will be hopping onto your hand, hesitate nonetheless but she will

Take a Look:

And here she is a week later, huge difference huh.

I implore you to try this method. But you cant back down. Once you have asked her to step up you cant stop until she does, all the while maintaining that sweet voice even if patience has run thin and you feel like she needs a good wacking! :lol: SO kidding but training a bird is not for the faint at heart.
~ Mikaela Sky