Baby IRN - eating

Moderator: Mods

Baby IRN - eating

Post by Guest »

Hi! I have finally got my handreared IRN from the breeder last Sat. It should be abt 12-14 weeks old. However, whenever he sees me or my cockatiel eating, he started making this 'meow' sound and kept nodding his head as if he was begging for food. My understanding is that he should be independent and able to eat on his own, but I have not really seriously seen him eat yet. I only saw him putting his head into the food bowl, but couldn't see whether he was eating or not. When I put the food in his mouth, he just seemed not having any strength in holding the food and kept dropping it. BTW, I am giving him pellet (from the breeder).

I am working and thus can only see his progress in the evening when I get home. How do I know whether he is eating or not? What should I do in the meantime? Leave him alone or spoon feed him with some food at night?

Appreciate any advice on the above.

Cheers!
Doremon
Misty_Anikin

Post by Misty_Anikin »

:idea: Yes it seems that he wants food! My IRN did the same thing when I got him. You should spoon feed him (at least 2-3 times a day or as much as he'll eat) until you are sure he is eating on his own. He should not just have pellets to eat. He needs a variety of friuts and veggies and seeds (a cockatiel mix will do). A bowl of seeds should be left out all the time for him. Pellets alone is not a healthy diet for your bird. Every bird is different in their progression so as far as him being independent and eating on his own, it is just a matter of time.

If you leave him out fruit and seeds you will know if he is eating if the seeds are cracked open as they do not eat the shell and obviously bite makes in the fruit. :wink: Just make sure you change his seed dish every day or so, it can look full of seeds but might just be the leftover shells (hull). :( Hope this helps...
-Misty
doremon

Post by doremon »

Hi Misty,

Thanks for the advice. I saw him eating a little bit yesterday evening and this morning. I also hang some apples and noticed that he had at least bite on it.

You are right on the pellets. I did feel a little bit hesitant in giving him a full pellet diet. So, I had previously mix in some seeds. But come to think of it, I should have put the seeds separately.

Do you think that I should spoon feed him since he has started eating (though I am not sure how much)? I also found out from the breeder that he is only abt 8-9 weeks old. So, I am being extra vigilant in making sure that he is fine.

Do I have to worry about him not drinking? Certainly that is a bit hard to track!

Cheers!
Doremon
Misty_Anikin

Post by Misty_Anikin »

Doremon,

Your welcome! :) Glad to offer any advice I can. About spoon feeding him, if he isn't eating very much still there is no harm in spoon feeding him for a bit longer; just to make sure he is getting enough food. I don't think you will have to spoon feed him for much longer, just keep an eye out and offer him different fruits and vegis so he is not always expecting to be spoon fed. They will spoon feed for as long as you let them and you don't want to have to do that if he is able to eat on his own. :)

When I first started giving my bird Anikin apples he only took a small interest in them; I think because he wasn't use the the hardness since he really only had been spoon fed. I gave him softer fruits like grapes, necterines, and cherry tomatoes which he loved and ate enthusiastically. After he started eating fully on his own I would give him harder fruits like apples, they are now one of his favorite things to eat!

As long as your bird knows where his water dish is and you leave out fresh water for him daily (available to him whenever he needs it) I'm sure you won't have to worry about his water intake. Also, if he is eating fruits he is sure to get some hydration there as well. Hope this helps! :)
-Misty