very angressive ringneck. HELP

Moderator: Mods

KANTZAV

very angressive ringneck. HELP

Post by KANTZAV »

I have a 16month old ringneck who I bought four months ago. He is very angressive and attacks me whenever I go close him. I can't feed him from my hand and he tries to bite me and my wife even if we dont scare him. I have to keep him in a cage. what can I do to make him more friendly? They have told me that this is happening because I bought him quite old. Is this true?
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

First of all. you MUST STOP being afraid of the bites or hang it up. Bites come with birds as diapers come with babies, that is just how it is. Heck yeah it hurts but all of us that have birds we can interact with have been biten hundreds of times. As long as that bird knows you are scared of it, it will be scared of you. They feel your vibes.

I can suggest approaching the cage slowly with spray millet, something no ringneck can deny. Speak alot and softly. Put your hands as near to your bird as possible while he enjoys his millet. Continue this until he lets you place your hand close enough to bite you but he decides not to. Repeat this 3 million times and you'll be getting somewhere. Sorry to sound so forth-right but that is just what we HAVE to do. All of us have been there.

Also, have the bird outside of the cage and with you as much as possible. I suggest a 20 dollar play gym like the one you see my baby on below. It is a great way to interact without them trying to retreat because believe me, he will love his gym so much he will never leave it.

Lastly, if he has flight, that needs to be taken away or training/taming is harder, if not impossible. Your bird has to realize your hands are his safe place. They feed him and remove him from trouble (the floor).

Below is a pic of the gym I was referring to. Great for hands on interaction and to play on when your busy. Also, here is a pic of how I interacted with my baby to show her my hands where for fun, not just for bites, though I still get plenty. I hope this helps. PM me if I can help you further and good luck :!:

Here is the 20 dollar play gym:

Here is how I interacted with her to get her use to my hands:

And here is the reward!

It takes tons of time but I have a very mean hen and it worked for her.