Chest feathers being pulled out and biting

Moderator: Mods

woody

Chest feathers being pulled out and biting

Post by woody »

I have a yellow IRN and he keeps on pulling his/her feathers out. It does this on the chest and the tail feathers. What is wrong with my IRN?

Also my INR is biting all of a sudden and won't let me take it out of the cage. What can I do about this.
IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

Have you seen him pluck them? He may just be malting.

how old is your irn?

have you done something to upset him?

how long have you had him?

if u have had him 4 a while then it maybe plucking because your not giving it as much attention as you did before when you first got him. therefore he might feel neglected. you see the problem is that people usually buy parrots and such as babies and to start with the smother them and always talk to them because it seems to be a trend and then slowly they feel it to be a Burdon or they get bored or maybe even get another job or have children and so forth which means they spend less time wit their bird companion this makes the bird stressed out because they want the same attention u gave them to start with and they are probably with out you realising working harder than before for you affection and this stresses them out even more which makes them pluck. It will be come a habit if u don’t stop him now. its probably the birdie version of nail biting.

That stuff that u put on your birds feathers to make them taste bad doesn’t work so don’t waste your money get him a coler for a few weeks that may do the trick.
woody

Post by woody »

I don't see him physicially pull them out. My IRN just seems to preen himself and they fall out.

My IRN is about 12 months old.

I have had my IRN since about 10 days old.

I don't think I have done anything to upset my IRN
IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

well woody it seems to me like he may be malting then. maybe get him checked out by the vet to be safe