scared of toys

Moderator: Mods

selma

scared of toys

Post by selma »

we've had our IRN for just over a month now so last week my husband and i decided to get him a new toy, a colourful little rope swing that he could also chew since he is constantly chewing at everything even our slippers and toes. After i cleaned his cage i hung the new toy inside and put fresh food in his bowl. When i tried to get him to go inside he refused. He just ran all the way up my arm. He'd never done that before. He never refuses to go into his cage so i realised he must be afraid of the toy. I removed the toy, put him in the cage and then put the toy in with him. he went crazy, clinging to the inside of the cage and flapping his wings. I know he would have so much fun chewing on the rope and swinging about so how do i get him to not be scared? I have tried leaving the swing on the floor where he could see it and get used to it and bringing it closer everyday but it doesnt seem to be working. Any suggestions out there?
greenwing05

Post by greenwing05 »

I may not be right but I put the toys in the cage after I knew my IRN was comfortable with the whole entire cage. Then I used mostly primary colors that arnt too bright and once I saw her getting used to them I added more brightly colored toys.

~Daryl
doremon

Post by doremon »

One other way is for you to hang the toy outside the cage until he is comfortable with it before you move the toy into the cage.

The bird just needs time to adjust to new things.

Regards
Doremon
selma

Post by selma »

thanks greenwing and doremon. Sounds logical. Will try it and keep you posted. :)