Baby ringneck

Moderator: Mods

Baby ringneck

Post by Guest »

I have a 10 day old baby ringneck, he eats very well and growing very fast, all i want to know is when do i start to train him, he is already very tame, he thinks i am his mother, but he is still very young.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Welcome to this board!

Sounds like you are hand feeding your little one. If he is ten days old, he should have no feathers and is still helpless. You’ll start to see the feathers soon, which will be straw like structures emerging. As they start to cover the Ringneck’s body, start to reduce the heat until the chick is fully feathered and comfortable.

About taming your Ringneck. To be honest with you, there is not really much you can do with your Ringneck until he is weaned. Weaning starts around 10 weeks; however, single Ringnecks can take a lot longer to wean –12 – 15 weeks. Just be patient and never starve him. Only then can you really begin training lessons.

The only trick or command that you can do now is to teach him the “up” command. This is simply done by teaching the parrot to step onto your finger evey time you offer him your finger. Or down when you put him near a perch or surface. Your Ringneck will catch on very quickly. Just let him be a baby. Give him lots of simulation. Offer him new objects and textures daily. Add colorful fruits and veggies. Just be creative. The more effort you put into his environment now, the better he’ll be accustomed to change and new objects. Not to mention a better pet.

Hope this helps!

Best Wishes

I.C.