chance of pets breeding??

Moderator: Mods

webvixen

chance of pets breeding??

Post by webvixen »

hi all,
at the moment we have 3 irn's as pets living inside they are all around 1 year old and are not related, We don't know what sex any of them are but have our suspisions thanks to this site and comparing with other irn's (we think 1 female 2 males). they all live in the same cage and get along fairly well(they get heaps of out of the cage time)they are very tame and love scratches, pats etc. My question/s; in the future will these birds try to breed even without a nesting box? (they get covered at night)will the males get agressive toward each other in breeding season, will we have to seperate "all" of them, will the female try to hurt or kill the males. Or on the other hand has anyone ever bred tame, inside birds without them going wild afterwards.
I would love to breed irn's one day but don't really want my inside birds to breed but they do alot of stuff that i don't really want them to do :D thaks for reading
any info will b good!!!
Melika

Post by Melika »

I do not breed ringnecks, but I will at this time assume they would act much like other species.

They will most likely try to breed. The males may fight one another and the female may chase the male(s) around the cage. I had a lovebird that starved her male to death while I was away. Two males might get along when kept together but I've noticed IRNs are pretty aggresive.

There are a few members here I'd like to see answer your questions too, this is the best I have right now.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Jade

Post by Jade »

If a male and female bond, then the 'odd one out' could be in danger. IRNs are extremely territorial and nasty when its breeding season or when their girl wants to have babies. We had a pair of IRNs peck the eyes out of a King Parrot who was boarding with them. They had all lived happily together for about 3 months until breeding season. Just keep an eye on things with your birds around the 2 years of age mark and see who pals up and who is left out.

Sorry I don't have anything really good for you, this is just my experience.
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

I havent had any first hand experience yet, I would let my pets breed though but that's just me. They should be fine after breeding, but I wont know this first hand for many years.

I was told by a breeder however that ringnecks will nest on the ground if they have to. So not having a box wont necessarily stop them from trying to breed.

I dont think the males will fight but it's the female you have to watch out for.

If you do have to split them up most breeders split the sexes up. Males in one flight, females in the other.
skray

Post by skray »

I have a blue hen that i use as a breeder that used to be a pet.She is very tame and will still talk to you through the cage.But put you hand in the cage and you will loose it!!Ringnecks that used to be pets and then become breeders loose all fear of humans in the breeding season or not.
As for the other 2 males whoever she bonds with the other needs to be taken out or he will be in danger for his life.
When my ringnecks are not breeding they are seperated by sex in flights.
Kenny Ray
http://www.raysaviary.com
Carly

Post by Carly »

I second the females being the ones to watch out for. the males are fairly mild mannered but i've had a hen dig her way into the neighbouring flight and murder another IRN hen (well she did the mutilation, the vet had to do the RIP bit)

as mentioned already, keep an eye out for any bonding behaviour (male regurgitating to the hen, displaying etc) and if you notice someone is the odd one out just get them a seperate cage.

in terms of them breeding without a box, they may try but you will just have to wait and see. i have a pet male and female who are bonded and live together, but the female is only 1 yr old so no breeding behaviours just yet. time will tell!