How old should the babies be when I sell them?

Moderator: Mods

PaigeLouise1

How old should the babies be when I sell them?

Post by PaigeLouise1 »

Hi guys- not sure how old my babies should be when I sell them? What is a good age? Do the parents stress when the babies are gone? :(
Any advice would be appreciated.
julie

Post by julie »

They need to be fully weaned and fully fending for themselves.
Fah

Post by Fah »

Well in Queensland its illegal (not just a nono, but illegal) to sell young before they are self sufficient and weaned.

Like Julie said, around 10 weeks is on average when you will be able to sell them. Really depending on how well you hand rear them, and how much attention you give them they will be pet quality as long as you own them, but so people can start getting in teaching time, etc anytime after 10 weeks is a good time to sell.

The parents do stress when the babies are gone, its just nature, but its also something they are emotionally and instinctively tuned into accepting (predators taking their clutches, bad years etc) they do not have the same emotional regions we do, but most birds do not act out of the norm when their young are taken...

Having said this some parents can over the years start realising their young are never making it past a certain age before being 'taken' and end up killing their young, but this is not a common thing.

As always, weaning ages are NOT guaranteed... its up to you to determine when they are weaned.