New mate?????

Moderator: Mods

lewi111

New mate?????

Post by lewi111 »

As i posted in the other forum---I lost my blue lace wing hen today.Need to know do i put another hen in with Jackson?---(prob too late in the season i feel) Should i put another Cock in with him for company? He has another pair in the aviary next to hin an all the othere ringies are close by.Thanks for your advice.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I don't think it would be too late to put in another hen with your boy as the season is only just starting.
The hen that escaped, I bought last year mid way through the season. She was ready and willing but the male I had her with was a bit young and didn't quite understand what all the fuss was about :roll: . But this year he understood quite well. :lol: :lol:
So if you are lucky enough to find a mature hen, and she doesn't get too disrupted from the move, then there is a good chance that she could breed.

But if you prefer not to get another hen, then he should be fine on his own if he is not missing her and not eating etc.
I have 2 males in seperate cages on their own and besides flirting with anything and everything, they seem to be fine. Like you mentioned, he has the company of his neighbours who he can see and hear :).

I am not sure how well 2 males would go together during the breeding season. I have never tried it.
I am guessing if you did, then you might need to change the cage around a bit to look different so they are both on even territory as Jackson would have laid claim to his domain and might pick on the new male.

Good luck in whatever you decide. :)