I can't handle parrots during pregnancy???

Moderator: Mods

SkyBaby

I can't handle parrots during pregnancy???

Post by SkyBaby »

I'm reading something that's scaring me. I'm about 4 or 5 weeks pregnant. Toxoplasmosis is a disease that makes babies really sick, but that generally shows no signs in healthy adults because we are able to fight it off. My cousin Laura who is a Registered Nurse says I should not handle Skye and Anakin at all during my pregnancy or several weeks afterwards. I should also have Anthony clean up after them. I don't want to put that on him. Animals are my thing, not his and I know he wont be as understanding with them as I am. I've heard of this issue with cats, due to them eating wild birds and rodents. I did a Yahoo search just now for toxoplasmosis in pet parrots. One website said it's pretty common. If I have it, then my baby will be quite sick. I'm planning on sending in a fecal sample to the vet so they can test for it, since this article mentioned avoiding feces from infected animals. I'm also going to have myself tested. I'm scared for my baby, and for Skye and Anakin.

Please pray I don't have this and that Skye and Ani don't either.
julie

Post by julie »

I hope everything is ok. I have not heard of it being in birds, only cats.
TD

Post by TD »

Hi there,

I / we had the same concern with my wife's pregnancy last year. We have 3 indoor cats, Russian Blues, and toxoplasmosis can occur in cats, and pregnant women should avoid handling pet litter, or anything to do with cat faeces. The parasite primarily lives in cats.

We contacted our doctor about it and he said that as long as the cats had not been diagnosed with toxoplasmosis parasite, you will be fine. In other words, as long as the cats were in good health, which they are.
As a precaution, you still should still avoid handling any pet faeces during your pregnancy. I happily took over the job of cleaning the cat litter when my wife fell pregnant, unfortunately the job stuck and I'm still doing it!! In the end we had a beautiful baby girl born on christmas eve!!

The chances of this affecting you are very low, but if you are concerned, contact your doctor and he can do tests to put your mind at ease. We had the test done as well.
We were scared as well, but we stressed less when we learned more about it from the doc.

Best of luck, you will be fine!

Tim.
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

TD wrote:Hi there,

I / we had the same concern with my wife's pregnancy last year. We have 3 indoor cats, Russian Blues, and toxoplasmosis can occur in cats, and pregnant women should avoid handling pet litter, or anything to do with cat faeces. The parasite primarily lives in cats.

We contacted our doctor about it and he said that as long as the cats had not been diagnosed with toxoplasmosis parasite, you will be fine. In other words, as long as the cats were in good health, which they are.
As a precaution, you still should still avoid handling any pet faeces during your pregnancy. I happily took over the job of cleaning the cat litter when my wife fell pregnant, unfortunately the job stuck and I'm still doing it!! In the end we had a beautiful baby girl born on christmas eve!!

The chances of this affecting you are very low, but if you are concerned, contact your doctor and he can do tests to put your mind at ease. We had the test done as well.
We were scared as well, but we stressed less when we learned more about it from the doc.

Best of luck, you will be fine!

Tim.
Thank you so much! I feel a lot better now. :D
CalamariBaby

Post by CalamariBaby »

Great topic!
I have never had to deal with that during any pregnancies because I had no Cats. But now I do do the bird cage. I guess I can hand that job over to hubby. :)
Allie
CalamariBaby

Post by CalamariBaby »

Oh plus..............I'll be Google..ing it right now.
Allie