Help! New owner of a terrified (2nd hand) bird!

Moderator: Mods

Choccie

Help! New owner of a terrified (2nd hand) bird!

Post by Choccie »

Have just acquired a 'supposedly' 6 mth old IRN (called Corky). He (not sure) seems completely terrified when we go near the cage (which is too small for him...new one on the way!)...flaps something crazy when I put hand near the cage let alone in it! Don't think he was treated very well by previous owner, his claws are VERY long (1 missing) and his feathers are in a terrible state :x . Want to take him to a vet to get him checked over but am worried he'll maul the vet!

Just wondered if anyone could give me some tips to help him settle in? All family members are talking very calmly to him and moving slowly around him to try & keep him calm.

He is a beautiful bird & I want to do the absolute best I can...any help or links gratefully appreciated.

Cheers :?
sherry

Post by sherry »

Congratulations on your new bird!!! Make sure you get him checked out by the vet. Give him time to get used to his new environment. Don't worry vets know how to handle agressive birds. Continue to move slowly around him, and talking quietly to him. When you have to reach your hands in the cage talk softly to him and move slowly-he needs to time to adjust. Lots of advice ono this site
Choccie

Post by Choccie »

Thanks so much...guess I've got a lot of reading to do!! :D
sherry

Post by sherry »

I know how you feel. :wink: I have a 3 yer old IRN that I adopted six months ago and he is still sought of scared of my bare hand. He is slowly coming around- but slowly. I can finally put my hand in the cage without him freakin out because he thinks I have food- greedy guy!!! :P Please read the sticky notes on this site that says 10 ways to have a closer relationship with your bird.