Varied Lorikeet..

Moderator: Mods

Lags

Varied Lorikeet..

Post by Lags »

hi,

well here is the story. A few months ago, while we were at the shops, we came accross an injured baby dird, who must have fallen from his nest during a bad storm that was going on at the time. He looked in a bad way, and was crying/screaming, and getting harassed by other local birds, so we picked him up and took him to the vet. the vet said he had an injured wing, and recommended leaving him with the local wildlife carer.

that was a couple of months ago now, and we got a call from the carer saying that the little blokes wing never healed properly, so he is unable to be returned to the wild. We are considering adopting this little fella, but have heard/read so much about how they're high-maintenance pets, we are wondering if its a good idea. We have a ringneck fid now, and just wondering if anyone knows how they get on with other breeds, and if anyone has any insight on the life and times of a lorikeet???

Thanks for reading this very long message.....
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I wouldn't class lories as high maintenance birds. To me no more work really then other bird.

They do have a different diet to most birds and are "squirty" because of this. There are plenty of commercial Lori food out there specially designed for them. You can also so make up your own recipe.

I have a few Rainbow lories and they are fun loving great little birds.

I sometimes have my IRNs and lories out together under supervision but they are usually too busy playing with toys, flying around or feeding their faces to fight with each other. :lol:
I wouldn't keep them in the same cage together though.

I have just found this link on Varied Lories (<<<click on lories), that may be of help. :)
Lags

Post by Lags »

hi pinkdevil,

thanks for your response. i have just read that they require a litlle more care then other birds.... but we have decided to bring the little fella into our home and introduce him to Putty, our ringneck. Putty is very tame, but we wont be keeping them in the same cage, just the size difference alone would be a concern ( varied lorries are pretty small).
So do you keep your Lorries in the house or do they have an averie outside? Thats our main question, because Putty lives in the loungeroom, and as we don't have much of a yard we don't really have the room for an outdoor averie.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I keep lories both indoors and out.

The aviary bred birds are outdoors while my handraised babies are inside.

The only "issue" I have with the lories is they have quite squirty droppings and the carpet soaks it up like a sponge if you don't have a towel handy to mop it up STRAIGHT away. :lol:

I have noticed that my lories tend to go to the toilet every 10-15 min and they kind of "back up" before they go. Sometimes if I catch them early enough, I can move them to an easier area to clean. Or I just put something down where they are.

You can also toilet train birds so that is another option. :)

As for your birds getting along, it depends on the individual bird. I know of one lady who has a Green Cheek Conure and a budgie as a "couple". They preen and snuggle up to each other. So I guess there are always exceptions to the rules. :)

Oh, to help with the squirty wall decorations, you might like to have one of those cage garter things around the base and part way up the side of the cage. These birds have excellent "Pro Hart" art abilities through the cage bars onto the walll and floor. :shock: :lol: :roll: :wink:
bec

Post by bec »

loris are cool i have a scaley breasted lori i havent tried letting him out with any of my irns yet though