Egg Help

Moderator: Mods

Oceano

Egg Help

Post by Oceano »

Okay I don't know much about owning birds but I currently have a female Indian Ring neck and she has been acting funny lately. She has been spending a lot of time in her little tunnel and has recently ripped all the fur out.

Like I said I don't much about owning a bird and was wondering how they act when they are going to lay an egg. We don't have a male so I understand that if she did lay an egg it would be unfertilised. Also at what age do they mature? She is a about 4-5 years old.
U.S Marine

Re: Egg Help

Post by U.S Marine »

Oceano wrote:Okay I don't know much about owning birds but I currently have a female Indian Ring neck and she has been acting funny lately. She has been spending a lot of time in her little tunnel and has recently ripped all the fur out.

Like I said I don't much about owning a bird and was wondering how they act when they are going to lay an egg. We don't have a male so I understand that if she did lay an egg it would be unfertilised. Also at what age do they mature? She is a about 4-5 years old.
Hi! She is def mature. They mature around 1 too 3 years old.
She thinks, she will be a mother soon, just throw the empty
egg out.
Coastal-Birds

eggs

Post by Coastal-Birds »

Ok yes she is mature for sure.
Now when you say she has ripped all her fur out do you mean like her chest ?
If so this can be from being bored or a diet with to much oils ,main cause of this is black sunflower seeds.
Now if she dosnt get black sunflower seed(grey will also do it)but black is alot worse or foods with alot of oil you can put it down to being bored.
You can try some toys and branches or logs for her to chew on and see how that goes.
Also yes if she did lay they would be unfertile,maybe its time for a mate.Males usually mature at about 3 years but some will mature early.but if you brought one with a ring you will know he is at least 2yrs old and should be mature.I have had cocks get there rings at about 18mths but this neither confirms they are fertile or not,it is trial and error with young cocks especially.Most hens will be fine at 2yrs old some even at 1 yr.
Hope ive helped you a little with your problem.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

About her plucking. She might be bored, i hope you don't put
stress on her, stress could be another reason for plucking.
If you don't have toys for her, get some. If you don't spend
time with her, do so. :)