Can someone please give me some advice?

Moderator: Mods

Lgliam20

Can someone please give me some advice?

Post by Lgliam20 »

I received an IRN I think around 4 or 5 years ago, It had only been a few months old.
It's feathers were all ruffled when we got it, which was a sign of depression, that began to clear up, and it doesn't do it anymore, but an issue I have read about is the biting.
If my IRN feels threatened, it'll bite. Or It'll bite when I stick my finger through it's cage.
It is let out every night, but not at daytime because I can't risk it flying away through a window or out of the door.
I don't want it to bite me, because I want to be able to hold it properly, I have tried grabbing it with both hands, but It always flies away or moves away, But that's because I want the biting to stop.
I have seen videos and stories about holding them and things like that.
When it's in a good mood, It will let me stroke it all the way down to it's tail, but just before it.
Can someone help? I don't want it biting me, and it scares me that it's gonna be biting me for the rest of it's life.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

You should get the bird to step up, to do this
you need to surf the web on videos. I don't
know if you saw videos on how to get your
bird to step up but browse this website for
videos.. www.Youtube.com

Good luck 8)
courtney

Post by courtney »

IRN’s are biters, plain and simple. The only thing you can do is ignore it. It had gone threw the bluffing stage so to be honest this is how it’s going to be.

What have you been doing to try to stop it? Anything? Did you ignore the biting when he started biting? Try ignoring the biting. Don’t make a fuss don’t make any drama out of it it.

I have scars on my hands from IRN’s biting me. I accepted it. They are not gentle little birds that play nice. They are high maintenance stubborn birds who need a lot of attention to keep them from going wild.
Mom too, Two Jack Russell Terriers, Rocky & Jack, Six Chinnies, Three Fish Tanks, One Ringneck, Chiquita & One Conure, Boomer.

U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Every bird is a biter, but my IRN never bites.. :D
julie

Post by julie »

Indie doesn't bite me, he head butts my hand away sometimes but they aren't all biters.
What do you do when the bird bites you?
freaky

Post by freaky »

courtney wrote: They are high maintenance stubborn birds who need a lot of attention to keep them from going wild.
no their not, their a stubborn independent bird that will come to you when it feels like it. not high maintenance.

again, some will bite but not all, mine used to bite.

i just kept putting my hand near him, when he bit i just pushed towards him, not pull away. this puts them off balance and they dont like it. they let go and stop instantly. took 2 days, now he steps up on command, and dosnt bite.

he learnt that biting dosnt stop me, but he will "headbutt" or push my hand away, at which point i stop. that way he knows that biting wont stop me, but being gentle will.

dont grab him with both hands, that is going to scare him, they are a pray animal, and being pinned is something they dont like.

and again, if he bites when you stick your fingers in his cage, dont, its his cage not yours. the only safe place he has is his cage, some birds dont like people poking their fingers in.

do you or others feed him through the bars? if so how is he supposed to know what he can bite and not bite?