feeding schedules

Moderator: Mods

selma

feeding schedules

Post by selma »

I would be grateful if you guys could tell me your feeding schedules. I just want to console myself that i am not underfeeding or overfeeding our bird. What time do you do the first feed? what do you give? How many times a day do you feed? Do you remove food after an hour if it's not eaten? I've read about that a lot. Also one website said to feed 4 to 6 times a day? This is not always possible.
Thanks everyone.
Melika

Post by Melika »

Hane always has pellets in one dish, he nibbles them before bed usually.
He doesn't eat all day, he plays with all his toys.

His other dish I fill (fill as in: the amount he can eat in two hours) with the veggies or fruits of the day. Then on his kabob he'll get fruits if veggies are in the dish and veggies if fruits are in the dish. Most often he gets more veggies than fruits. I usually give these to him in the morning.

After I come home from work (about two pm) I will remove the veggies/fruits. People talk about spoiled fruits and veggies and removing them on time but really, when's the last time you saw a grown bird eat spoiled food? Mine won't touch the stuff after a certain time. They seem to know when it's not good anymore. So I don't worry about it if I'm late getting home. And air-conditioning extends the life of fresh foods.

That's about it, though I give Hane seeds on occasion- they're good for him. And Sunflower is his favourite treat, but it's reserved for treats only. If I don't watch it, he'll get fat! Little Hane loves his food. ^_^

Oh, and I clean his cage at night instead of the morning. The biggest problem with spoiled food is it attracts insects. And we all know how messy these birds are when they eat, lol. So I clean the cage before bedtime, thereby removing possible insect food.
Carly

Post by Carly »

My birds have a daytime and night time cage, so their feeding revolves around that.

In the morning I take them outside to the daytime cage. They have a dish of pellets always available to them in that cage. I also give them a kebab skewer of fruit, or a small dish of soaked chickpeas or beans.

At dusk I bring them inside to the night time cage. They just have a seed mix in this cage. They usually eat a bit before they go to bed, and again when they get up in the morning.

I find that my birds LOVE the seed and will only tolerate the pellets. To make sure they eat both I only offer them pellets during the day.

If you only have one cage you could do the same thing by just changing the dish from seeds only to pellets only every morning and night.
selma

Post by selma »

thank you Melika and Carly for your replies. I think we're doing ok then. Bibou does not like veggies too much but he loves his fruit. I give him the fruit first thing in the morning and then at lunch i remove it and give him his veggies mixed with rice which he absolutely loves. The petshop said not to give him anything at night but im sure he is hungry so i give him his treats , some seeds, pine nuts and then he goes to sleep.
Sometimes he gets beans and mashed potatoes which he seems to enjoy. I guess he's doing ok then. thanks again.
Angelface

Post by Angelface »

my birds have access to their seeds and pellets any time they want, fresh fruits and veggies during the day, I remove them after a couple hours just because I HATE fruit flies with a passion and they always seem to pop up when you least want them. I've never regulated when they can or cant have their basic diet mixes...fresh is the only time, I just give that in the day because that's when they are active and eat it! or throw it on the walls!